Grilling with WSM: How much charcoal = temperature?

Matt M.

Hey guys, I'm going camping this weekend and am thinking about taking the WSM to use as a grill by removing the middle section altogether and placing the grate directly on top of the charcoal bowl. I've seen where people have had good results with this method. Since I usually use my Weber Genesis gasser for grilling and the WSM only for smoking, I was looking for a little advice from any of you who have done this as to how much charcoal it might take to achieve certain temperatures when used as a grill, and how long I should expect this charcoal to last before needing new coals. More specifically, how hot might the grill get with 1/2 chimney, a full chimney, etc. I'm thinking 400-500 should do for burgers, dogs, etc. I look forward to this experiment, and any help is greatly appreciated!

Matt,

I use nothing but charcoal for both grilling and obviously the WSM. I'll make the assumption you have an 18" WSM (quantity would vary a little for a 22"). It really depends how much food you anticipate grilling, what you're going to grill and over what time frame.

I have the 22" WSM and typically have used anywhere from 30 - 40 briquettes (Kingsford) and that amounts to about a little more than 1/2 chimney (Weber Chimney). 35 (or thereabouts) briquettes have always gotten me to the 500° range (in the absence of crappy weather). The outdoor conditions will play a role in this as well. I always leave the top vent open and simply control the bottom vent(s). As far as how long they will last, will depend on your control of the airflow. As you know, oxygen feeds and lack of, kills. Typically I can have that last me a few hours. Just keep an eye on how the vent adjustments affect your temp (up and down). If you're worried about using less and not achieving temp (and can spare the extra charcoal), use more. You'll be able to control the temp. with the vents. The first time is always an experiment (to some extent).

Happy Cookin' - Keith

Just a tip: If you're not cooking for many, the little weber smoky joes are great for camping and CHEAP! I think walmart sells 'em for less than $30.

Regardless of the choice, I'd recommend using more charcoal than you think you'll need. Have fun on the trip!

Matt, I have used my WSM 18 for grilling a bit. I like having the middle section along for temp control. Along with the lower vents you now have 3 levels to place your meat above the fire.

Mark

I have used this configuration with my 18.5" WSM with the mid-section that works well for grilling ... use a 22" kettle charcoal grate at bottom grate position and spread coals on that. Coals will be about 6" from top grate.

I tried stacking the charcoal ring on top the bottom cooking grate and then the charcoal grate on top of the ring but the coals were only about a 1" from top grate. Great I guess if you want to do a super sear.

I wouldn't worry about being so precise with the charcoal. You don't want to run out during the cook. Bring a full bag and start with a full chimney.

Thanks for the tips guys. I was worried that too much charcoal would run the grill too hot to bring back down, but from the sounds of it it sounds like I can't have too much, as closing the air vents can control the temp just fine. I hadn't thought about grilling on the middle section though... now that's another idea. Will have fun trying it all out!

Thanks so much for the advice - these forums are great with such active participation.

Back