Grilling with Cedar Planks

I remember on the old forum, someone did a mash potato loaf on a cedar plank and it sure looked good and they said it tasted awesome.
I'd like to try that, and meatloaf on an alder or maple plank.

Tim

Fish are very easy to overcook on a grill. A soaked cedar plank protects the grill side of the fish from becoming overdone and dried out by keeping moisture in contact with the fish. Cedar works well because it has a very open cell structure and can soak up a great deal of water to release during the cook. We always use a cedar plank when grilling salmon. A good target for inernal temp is 125°.

Jeff

I cooked cedar planked salmon last night on my kettle for the first time ever. I marinated the fish in italian dressing for a few hours, at the same time soaked the cedar plank in water for a few hours. I used Royal Oak lump, set it up for indirect heat. Once the coals were rolling, I placed the fish on the cedar on the grate opposite side of the coals. Cooked for about 35-40 mins...No idea what my temps were.. top and bottom vents were about half open. Once it was flaking w/ a poke from a fork, I removed it. Best fish I have ever had in my life. IDK if it was the marinade, the cedar or the lump ..or a combo of all the above, but gosh...it was delicious.

I'm surprised the fish wasn't rubbery due tot he acid cure in the dressing. Acid "cooks" he fish and if you follow up with a cook it can turn rubbery. But it's good if you had a nice result

Back