Grilling whole onions

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
I am almost ashamed to admit that I have never grilled whole onions. Tonight, I remedied that! We selected a couple of medium size (bigger than a baseball, smaller than a softball):), and we left the onions intact. Just washed them and then my wife took a paring knife and removed just enough from the top of the onion to partially core it. She took just enough out to allow about a tablespoon of real butter. The outer skin was left on and the root end was left intact to hold the onions together. She buttered and salt and peppered them (kosher salt and McCormick's Garlic Pepper Mill). She also rolled a couple of foil rings to support them up off the grate, a bit. I set up the grill with my usual set up for indirect using a pair of thin fire bricks. One chimney of Kingsford Briquets. I pre-heated it, cleaned the grate, and set the onions on indirect (vents all open). After half an hour I looked at them. I applied the "Charmin Test" and they were still quite firm. I let them go another thirty minutes (an hour) and put the hamburgers on, indirect, also. After ten minutes additional time, the onions passed the squeeze test and were removed. I then reverse seared the burgers, applied the cheese the last couple of minutes to melt. While doing this, I re-heated some left over cold bacon (turkey - well, that's what we had:rolleyes:). Here's a couple of pics to illustrate. The burger meat was custom done for us at a local country market where they understand meat. The onions were a home run! This has now become one of my "signature dishes":cool:. My wife had made a five bean salad (cold) and I pepped up the onions with Mezetta's pickled sliced Jalopena's. The onions (Vadalia, Ga) were sweet as candy. Man what a delightful way to do onions and turn them into something wonderful!

Thanks for listening,
Dale53

Robert, as soon as I can find some grilling time I have to do onions like that. We grill onions all the time but that has not been done. They look awsome!! Thanks for the encouragement.

Love the foil ring idea. I do pretty much the same thing but I would quarter the onion leaving the root intact. Then add the butter, salt, pepper, and a beef bouillon cube. Wrap in foil and cook for 45 minutes. When you open the package up you basically have heaven on earth.

Vidalia onions have been a hit with me for years (for our offshore friends, Vidalia Onions originated in Georgia and are featured in every grocery worthy of the name early every season all over the country. They are a rather large sweet onion (REALLY sweet). When they are out of season, other sweet onions should work just about as well (we get Peruvian sweet onions and Texas sweet onions differing times during the year). Our European friends should have something similar. My wife and I made several trips to Europe a few years ago and we enjoyed the great outdoor markets in Germany.

They were sure a hit with me and will continue to be on my "menu" for the foreseeable future...

Thanks for the kind words, good people. I'll try to do better with the photos in the future...

FWIW
Dale53

Robert, I've tried them like this in a microwave with water halfway up the onion for ten minutes but grilling will be next.

I tried a version much like Bobby P's tonight, and it was great! I quartered the onion leaving the root in place, added a beef base (from a jar) in place of beef bouillon, butter, and a healthy amount of Tony Cachere's, wrapped it in foil and cooked it indirect on the OTG at 350F for about 45 minutes. It came out tasting a lot like French Onion Soup. Next time I'm going to shred some Gruyere cheese to go along with it.

Last edited:
I tried a version much like Bobby P's tonight, and it was great! I quartered the onion leaving the root in place, added a beef base (from a jar) in place of beef bouillon, butter, and a healthy amount of Tony Cachere's, wrapped it in foil and cooked it indirect on the OTG at 350F for about 45 minutes. It came out tasting a lot like French Onion Soup. Next time I'm going to shred some Gruyere cheese to go along with it.

Glad you liked it Mark R. My step daughter can't get enough of those. I don't know why using Gruyere cheese never dawned on me. Thanks for the tip.

Thank YOU for the idea/recipes! I had done a few onions in similar ways in the pas, but had never used beef bouillon (or beef base), and that really moved it up another level to me.

Thank YOU for the idea/recipes! I had done a few onions in similar ways in the pas, but had never used beef bouillon (or beef base), and that really moved it up another level to me.

Yeah that beef bouillon sure does kick it up another notch. Just be prepared once you start making these for the family it's going to requested a lot.

I've grilled onions over direct heat, but not indirect. I REALLY have to try this! Great idea with the foil to prop it up.

Welton;
I had a chunk of apple providing smoke when I did my onions.

The perspective had the foil rings looking a lot deeper than they were. Just roll up some aluminum foil about ½" in diameter and make a circle as a sort of stand for the onions. I also, after thirty minutes, CAREFULLY (the funnel is full of hot melted butter) turned the onions 180 degrees to make sure they cooked evenly. Most of the onions were exposed to the heat and smoke. They had a nice subtle smoke flavor. I suspect that I will also try adding a bit of beef bullion (I have bullion powder) to the butter.

FWIW
Dale53

Back