grilling w/ WSM

j law

TVWBB Member
is there a way to use the WSM as a "standard" grill? i will be dragging my WSM for a weekend get-a-way to do some pulled porkm but may be up for doing some standard grilling as well, and would rather not bring the grill as well.

if this is possible, how is it done? could i just eliminate the middle section and place the lid right on the bottom?

thanks!

Sure. Just remove the middle section. Take your top grate and set it right on top of the bottom section and then use your lid like you normally would.

Be careful though, as there is not the space difference you would normally see with a kettle (ie the coals will be a lot closer to the grate.)

You could also simply remove the water bowl and grill on the lower rack. That would be closer to grilling with a kettle.

What I did was to replace the top leg bolts with slightly larger stainless bolts. The top bolts now serve as the grill supports when I want to grill.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j law:
is there a way to use the WSM as a "standard" grill? i will be dragging my WSM for a weekend get-a-way to do some pulled porkm but may be up for doing some standard grilling as well, and would rather not bring the grill as well.

if this is possible, how is it done? could i just eliminate the middle section and place the lid right on the bottom?

thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can grill without removing the middle section as follows. Remove the charcoal grate and ring from the bottom section and place the middle section back in place. Place the charcoal grate on the bottom cooking grate then place the ring on the charcoal grate. I put the ring kinda over to one side so will have a place for direct and indirect cooking. In a chimney light the amount of charcoal you think you'll need and spread the lit over the side where you'll do direct grilling. Put the top cooking grate on and grill away. I do this all the time and it works fine. I did think the heat from the lit coals might burn off the nickle finish on the bottom cooking grate but so far it hasn't on mine. You could get a replacement bottom cooking grate and use one for grilling and one for smoking. BTW, mine is a 22.5 WSM. Some of the mods shown on the link won't work with it.

Depending on what you are cooking, you can use your WSM as a grill by removing the bottom grate and the water pan. use 1/2 - full chimney of charcoal, depending on how hot you want the fire. This method works great for bone-in chicken pieces, spatchcocked chicken, pork chops, thick steaks, etc. Pretty much anything you can grill over direct heat on a kettle can be grilled on your WSM, and the extra distance between the grate and the coals can give you a great cook without worrying about flare ups. I have cooked this way several times and it works great, even giving decent grill marks to boneless pork chops and steaks. Leave all bottom vents wide open and adjust as necessary.

Good luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scotty W.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j law:

thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can grill without removing the middle section as follows. Remove the charcoal grate and ring from the bottom section and place the middle section back in place. Place the charcoal grate on the bottom cooking grate then place the ring on the charcoal grate. I put the ring kinda over to one side so will have a place for direct and indirect cooking. In a chimney light the amount of charcoal you think you'll need and spread the lit over the side where you'll do direct grilling. Put the top cooking grate on and grill away. I do this all the time and it works fine. I did think the heat from the lit coals might burn off the nickle finish on the bottom cooking grate but so far it hasn't on mine. You could get a replacement bottom cooking grate and use one for grilling and one for smoking. BTW, mine is a 22.5 WSM. Some of the mods shown on the link won't work with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>+1 that is how exactly i do it works fantastic with great control of what you are grilling, a little tip this set up is the best way to grill wings or chicken parts.

Do it All the time for camping or beach trips!!! Works like a charm...

[IMG:top]
64edbd6e.jpg
[/IMG]

Back