Grilling thin-cut steaks on Weber Kettle

In spite of my incessant pleads, my wife keeps coming home with thin steaks.. under 1" thick. I love her for trying to save money, but I keep sharing that what you save on the cost of the steak you lose in the grilling experience.

On thicker cuts, I opt for a serious allover char, usually with a SnS, cold grate method. Doing this with a thin cut is nearly impossible. Either the steak is over-cooked or the char is none existent. Been giving some thought as to how I can make lemonade out of lemons and am thinking a sear first, then slow cook on the cool side if it is even needed.

What's your technique for thinner cuts of meat on a kettle?

Looking for a med-rare, 125-ish internal.

I got a good tip recently: Super hot fire; sear one side to a crust of your liking; flip and cook for one minute; Serve with the pretty side up and no one will be the wiser, plus your steak won't be overdone.

Jeff

There is alot of good info and tips here. Over the years I have over,under cooked thin cuts afew times.
I cook flaken cuts with heavy marinade alot(Kal bi) Korean ribs. I have found to keep moist to sear one side to a crust then a quick sear on side 2 then move to cool zone finish if needed I have done 30 to 40 of these for one party get together with 95% approval with my wife being the hold out, her cooking much better than mine.

My tip; just don’t buy them for grilling, I have bought thin ribeye’s before but I either ground them for burgers or I cut them for kabobs.
The butcher at our H-E-B will slice them about 1/4" thick for me. I then pound them super thin for cheesesteaks. Now if I could just find a decent hoagie roll in Texas ...

Jeff

Back