Grilling over pistachios

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
I had some unshelled pistachio nuts that had gone stale so I last weekend I decided to try using them for smoke and flavor. The porterhouse, pork chop and potato shown here were simply seasoned with salt and pepper while I used salt, pepper, dried garlic, olive oil, and Italian seasoning for the portobello caps.

I used about half of the pistachios I had and at first they flared up nicely, quite possibly from the oil in the nutmeats as someone had suggested might happen, but eventually they settled down and I was able to cook.

The steak was cooked direct and indirect, the pork chop direct, and the portobellos direct for the gills and indirect to melt the provolone cheese. The potatos were Idaho bakers and I microwaved them first but cooked them a little too much, as they got a little crumbly but the oil held them together enough to cook on a grill sheet.

For as active as the pistachios were when they first caught on fire I was surprised at how mild the flavor was, and I think I could've probably used the whole bowl. I don't think I'd go out and buy them just to use for smoking but it's not a bad way to use up ones that would otherwise go into the garbage.

Brad

Incredible looking meal.

Technical/site related question: How did you post the pictures of the smaller photos with links embedded? I use photobucket for picture storage as well. Usually the IMG tags they give you provide full size pictures. I take a lot of pictures when I post my cooks, and it leads to a very large original post. I love the way your post was pout together.

Thanks for the compliments!

Instead of using the IMG tag that appears in the box under a picture, click on the small square box to add a check mark and select the pic. Then when you've selected all the ones you want, scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "generate HTML code" button at the far right. This will bring up a page that has 5 different options and I believe the thumbnail option is about the 4th one down. Click on the links inside the box to highlight them, copy them, and then paste them into your post.

Each thumbnail will be on a separate line so what I do is to go the the /url at the end of 1 line, hit the space bar a couple of times, hit the right arrow once to move to the start of the next link, and hit backspace/delete to remove the carriage return and line feed. This will cause the 2nd thumbnail to be on the same line as the 1st with a little space in between.

Brad

Looking great.

Those portobello hats looks really nice,im a big fan of grilled shrooms.

And steak looks perfect for my taste.

About the nuts and smoking never heard of that but its interesting couse i have a walnut tree in my garden that produce ALOT of nuts maby can use em for smoking to?
icon_confused.gif

Will try and post on that another day.

Bless//Me

I agree that is a great way to post a cook. Not too big, but full of info and pics. Great job!

The cook looks fantastic. I bet that steak was good.

Back