Grilling Chestnuts

Chris E

TVWBB Pro
Anybody grill chestnuts?

Read about it for years. Tried one a long time ago and seemed ok.
But I have some friends loving them and said I should be grilling them over lump or wood and then using them in everything from dip to side dishes or just munching on them with a little salt during the football game.

Looks like you cut an X in the skin and let em rip. Though I'm not sure best on the regular grill grate, coals or do I need a veggie basket. Also what temp fire or how close to the coals. I'm thinking you could burn them easily. Also what should they be like inside--soft like cream cheese or crunchy like a water chestnut?

I've had them quite a few times when I was stationed in Italy. From what I remember they were slow roasted over wood, and were softish and creamy.

Love me some chestnuts. The street vendors in NYC do them over charcoal. I just put them in the oven (400 degrees, 30 minutes). Now that I saw this, I'm thinking indirect over charcoal (with some wood) might be worth a shot.

You definitely need to slice them, otherwise you'll get some fireworks when they explode. :)

We have an indoor fireplace and years ago I bought a long handled basket to roast chestnuts over the fire. It worked quite well. It should also work well on the grill (and the sliding lid on the basket will eliminate any concerns).

I fondly remember celebrating Christmas in Nuremberg, Germany when the chestnut roasters were calling out "Maroni!! Maroni!!"
in loud voices (meaning "roast chestnuts"). They used a portable roaster and sold LOTS of the delicious morsels amongst the thousands in attendance. A memorable Christmas, for sure!

Check this out:
http://www.firepit-and-grilling-guru.com/chestnut-roasting.html

I would check out EBay and Amazon, too, for possible lower prices...

Keep on smoking,
Dale53
P.S..I love a bit of butter on warm chestnuts! Goooood! rdm

Last edited:

Back