Grilling & BEER

Great topic, Hayden!

I've got a few years on you (not into old-fart territory yet, but I'm working on it...) Back in college days, even on a student budget, I decided that "Life is too short to be drinking (doo-doo)itty beer!" I'd rather have one or two good beers than gallons of the usual stuff.

The whole microbrew thing has really made some truly great beers available in nearly every part of the country. I absolutely love almost anything from DFH that I've tasted (90-min IPA is one of my all-time favs).

[ADD new favorite - New Belgium 1554 Ale ]

Here in the "Cream City" area, we are blessed with a strong brewing tradition. The Milwaukee area has more than a few brew-pubs, and the surrounding area has also spawned some really good microbreweries.

If you can get any - try the brews from:
-New Glarus
-Sprecher

A really neat place opened-up near where I live, Cafe Hollander has a beer list that you would not believe! Lots of good stuff / limited availability brews from around the world, with a focus on Belgium.

I used to homebrew but with all the microbrews popping up I quit. My favorite beer is Moylans IPA. My everyday drinking beer is Bridgeport's Hop Czar.

I also keep some Macallan 12 yo scotch & Cohiba cigars handy :)

Now with Summer / warmer weather (finally!) getting here, my taste in beer goes to stuff that is lighter / less fizzy:

-New Glarus Spotted Cow
-New Glarus Yokel (Dunkel)
-Leinenkugel Honey Weiss
(In a FROSTY mug, with a slice of Lemon)
-Blue Moon, with a slice of Orange
-ICE-COLD, IPA with a bitter "bite" to go with spicy 'que!

(Oh, and when I'm "slumming" - a properly iced-down keg of Old Style
icon_razz.gif
)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
For you Dogfish Head lovers, a link to their schedule.
Dogfish Head 2011 Beer Release Schedule

They make an astounding 25 beers annually. Soon to be 26. They make even more, but many are only available at the brewery or restaurant.

And....I'm off to pick up my 3 cases of Festina Peche. :p </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I try to support our local microbrews here in the Atlanta area as much as possible: Terrapin, Sweetwater, & a new one Wild Heaven (Who is building their brewery a mile from my house).

I really enjoy most beers from Sierra, Bell's, Stone, Oskar Blues, 21st Amendment, Brooklyn and of course Dogfish. In fact I have a DFW B....es Brew sitting in my cellar.

I love the hops, so it's usually (American) pale ales and (American) IPAs for me.

I am really enjoying a lot of the micros switching over to cans. It's a much superier & fresher product. That and my trash doesn't way as much.

All this beer talk and now I need to pickup a growler on my way home!

If I'm drinking beer, ice cold High Life in the bottle. I much prefer my cocktails, so it's either 15 year old Pappy Van Winkle or Sailor Jerry.

My usual summer beer is Anchor Summer, but I will occasionally pickup a six pack of Philadelphia Brewing's Kenzinger. Thankfully there is an awesome six pack store near me that specializes in craft beer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Dobz:
Did someone say grilling and BEER???

Lots of that over here!
DSC_9935.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Show off! LOL

Party at Brian's!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Dobz:

Lots of that over here!
DSC_9935.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I built a 2 tap from a Sanyo and my next plan is a 2 tap from a deep freeze plus keg storage (4 taps total). Nice looking top btw. Is yours for commercial or corney kegs?

Lots of that over here!
DSC_9935.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Love it Brian. I have the same "Free Beer" sign.
icon_smile.gif

Back