Grilling & BEER

Hayden McCall

TVWBB All-Star
I'm 33. For the majority of my drinking life, I just never had a taste for beer. And I certainly couldn't drink beer while I ate. I'd have to finish my beer and get a Coke or an iced tea. Recently, I've started drinking beer, and I'm liking it. My tastes are bit beyond the likes of Miller, Budweiser, Coors, and Hi-Life. Not knockin' 'em, but I just don't like them. Yuengling's big around here, but I burned out on it 10 years ago. LOL That being said, we're blessed with numerous fabulous microbreweries around here. Dogfish Head, Weyerbacher, Victory, and Flying Fish are just a few of the top notch breweries we have around here. Lately I've found that DFH's Aprihop goes great with chicken or pork. It's an apricot infused IPA. The apricot isn't overpowering in the least, and you definitely get the hops. For beef, I've been drinking another offering by DFH called Paulo Santo. It's an unfiltered brown ale that's housed in wood barrels. It's fabulous stuff. What are you gentlemen drinking with your BBQ? Do you have a constant standby, or do you change it up with what you're cooking?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Meredith:
DFH makes AWESOME beers! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy do they. Between their year round brews, seasonal offerings, occasional rarities, and collaborations, I don't think I care if I ever drink a beer by any other brewer. I love the 25 oz. bottles because they're perfect for two glasses...and I can try different kinds without having to buy a case or an overpriced six pack.

I've also been drinking their Red & White, a big, belgian-style Wit brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with Pinot Noir juice., and Black & Blue, belgian-style Golden Ale fermented with blackberries and blueberries.
They're awesome with chicken and pork.

I have become a big fan of Shiner Bock, but it's not always easy to find around here. I've seen the DFH and might pick some up next time.

My favorite high octane beer is Delerium Tremens..gotta be careful with it though cause it's 9% and will knock you on your butt before you know it, but it's so good....my drinking and grilling all day beer is Bud, nothing fancy...I do love all Dogfish Head beers and good call on the aprihop! That stuff is tasty!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom (Gunner):
My favorite high octane beer is Delerium Tremens..gotta be careful with it though cause it's 9% and will knock you on your butt before you know it, but it's so good....my drinking and grilling all day beer is Bud, nothing fancy...I do love all Dogfish Head beers and good call on the aprihop! That stuff is tasty! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The DFH beers I've been drinking break down as follows:

Aprihop 7.0
Black & Blue 10.0
Red & White 10.0
Palo Santo Marron 12.0

They definitely make some brews with a kick, although they're all ridiculously smooth, none of them taste like high test beers.

DFH 60 minute IPA is outstanding. I have not tried their 90 minute IPA yet... It's sold out the last few times I've been to the store.

Victory Prima Pils is another great beer.

... but I have to admit, I'm drinking single malt most of the time when I grill. For longer cooks... I'll have a few beers especially if it it's hot outside.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ted M (FatEddy):
DFH 60 minute IPA is outstanding. I have not tried their 90 minute IPA yet... It's sold out the last few times I've been to the store.

Victory Prima Pils is another great beer.

... but I have to admit, I'm drinking single malt most of the time when I grill. For longer cooks... I'll have a few beers especially if it it's hot outside. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 90 is awesome. But, have you had the holy grail? The 120 minute? Man. That's like...Christmas. LOL

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The 90 is awesome. But, have you had the holy grail? The 120 minute? Man. That's like...Christmas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ditto!
The 120 is an experience!
Racer 5 (Bear Republic) is another fantastic GP IPA .

I've been drinking Miller's since I was a pup.
I do enjoy some the microbrew stuff, for a novelty.
They come and go, but I know that miller's does it for me.

I've had the 90 and 120, actually prefer the 90. I am jealous of both coast when it comes to beer, I really like the DFH 90 over the 120 but also love the Pliney the Elder from Russian River. Have to drive a long ways to get either. Around here (NW Iowa) the best we get is Boulevard Single Wide IPA or the Double Wide along with Sierra Nevada's Torpedos, both of which I like. I LOVE IPA's, hence one of my reasons for home brewing. I get the beer I like living in remote areas.

On the other hand, after IPAs, my true love is session beers, those beers I can down several and still be able to legally drive ;-). And I'm not talking about the BMC (Bud/Miller/Coors) beers. Milds, wits, bitters, blondes, kolsh and lower alcohol stouts, porters, pale ales among others. I pretty much prefer ales over lagers (though I like many lagers). Thru homebrewing I have tasted both the best and worst beers I ever had (not usually recipe related but usually brewer process related for the most part). Though I homebrew I still buy plenty of craft brew usually to support the breweries I like but also to supply my needs for certain styles I don't always brew or brew very little. As Tom said earlier, beer is the "new" wine, though beer is much more complex and versatile to cook with and to pair with food with. This has been known for a long time but never as much promoted as wine has, nor does it have the history. Check out Sean Paxton at The Homebrew Chef and his podcast at the Brewing Network. He's just one example, the number of articles/online postings of major news outlets have shown the expansion of beer and cooking/food pairings in recent years.

But I also don't condone those that drink the American/Lite pilsner drinking preferences. Most of us have started with those beers and many continue, as evidenced my sales (though Bud/Miller/Coors are now non-American owned companies, just in case you like to buy American). There are so many of styles to enjoy, including American pilsner/American Lite pilsner, compared to even 10-15 years ago, everyone can get what they like.

I love all things DFH w/ 90 & 60 Minute and Aprihop being at the top of my list. Being in Maine I have access to a ton of good micro and craft breweries as well.

BTW, the only bar in my town, about 2 miles from me, is this place: Ebenezers Pub. Who would think that in a town of 900-1000 people would have a place rated best Beer Bar in America.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Mills:
I love all things DFH w/ 90 & 60 Minute and Aprihop being at the top of my list. Being in Maine I have access to a ton of good micro and craft breweries as well.

BTW, the only bar in my town, about 2 miles from me, is this place: Ebenezers Pub. Who would think that in a town of 900-1000 people would have a place rated best Beer Bar in America.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm jealous just that you live in Maine. It's gorgeous up there. I've had a couple beers from there. Belfast Bay's Lobster Red, and a blueberry beer, whose name I can't recall right off hand. Both very tasty.

Re: Brad's post... I also like to support the little guy. I have no stomach for putting money into the pockets of the likes of Anheuser Busch, Miller, Coors, etc. Anheuser recently purchased Goose Island, which was one of my favorite microbreweries in the Chicago area. I no longer buy Goose Island.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">DFH 60 minute IPA is outstanding. I have not tried their 90 minute IPA yet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Personnally love the 90 min IPA!
Ray

A lotta love for Dogfish Head in the grilling community. Shouldn't surprise me really. We wouldn't be grilling if we wanted anything less than the best.

Back