Grillgrates!

Brandon Pilkington

TVWBB Member
Has anyone used these? I got a set with a grill I purchased and I used them tonight...I've been on the fence about buying them for years. I feel like I let myself down by not buying them for all of this time. The steaks came out amazing and I did nothing different other than use these grates.

I have and use them, usually flat side up, other then a reduced or no flare up, I don't see much of an advantage

I used them in my Performer and didn't notice much difference. I used them in my pellet grills, flat side up, and they make a noticeable difference.

I like them a lot. They definitely made my old Silver B gasser work better.

Runs a bit hotter on high than before (good for searing). More even heat across the whole grill surface and much less flare-ups. I really notice that when cooking 8 pounds of wings or two pounds of bacon -- I can fill up the grill surface edge-to-edge, turn it to low or medium, and the grill runs without incident. Previously, either of those would have conflagrated and required a spray bottle to douse the flames.

The flat side gives you a flat top/griddle option -- good for searing and cooking small items (like shrimp and veggies). But because of the perforations, it isn't a true griddle that can make scrambled eggs or pancakes.

Jon has an interesting theory on the GGs. For grills with one level of flav bars, the GGs somewhat duplicate the effects of the double layer of flav bars found on the older classic grills with the deep firebox.

I absolutely love mine. They're great with fish as well as other meats. A bit of a learning curve in getting the hang of it.

I have been using Grillgrates for many years; Custom Grill Grates for my Weber Smoky Joe and 3 Sets of GrillGrates for my Weber Performer Deluxe and they really help in controlling the flareups.

Attachments

• IMG_0102.JPG
    IMG_0102.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0109.JPG
    IMG_0109.JPG
    296.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 14
Like using them on our kettle. At times, I do get close to the *SCA standards ;)

* Steak Cookoff Association

Last edited:
I have a set; used them a couple of times, wasn't that impressed (charcoal). Yea, they make steaks "pretty" but, if you can get that mallard reaction across the whole surface = much better flavor. Form follows function. I'll admit that I've never tried them flat side up. I wonder if they are better suited for gassers?

I have a set; used them a couple of times, wasn't that impressed (charcoal). Yea, they make steaks "pretty" but, if you can get that mallard reaction across the whole surface = much better flavor. Form follows function. I'll admit that I've never tried them flat side up. I wonder if they are better suited for gassers?
Sentiments exactly. Learn how to use a grill correctly and don't use a crutch/gimmick just for cosmetics

I used them to replace the grates on my Genesis a few months ago. I tend to keep three of them on the flat top/griddle side, and the other two on the traditional grate side. It has made my grill much more useful.

Works great to sear steaks on the hot flat side, which gives a complete sear and not just grill marks. Then move the steaks to the grate side on low and close the lid until they hit about 125.

I also use the flat side to make smash burgers. Works great.

Like using them on our kettle. At times, I do get close to the *SCA standards ;)

* Steak Cookoff Association
Yes, when you are talking SCA that also means you MUST have a PK Grill as well lol The one thing that I don't like about that is that's what everyone basically uses for their competitions, the only thing that changes from team to team is the rub and maybe the finishing butter. At least in the brisket/ribs/chicken/pork competition world you have a plethora of cookers and more pitmaster skill IMO. Every SCA cooking video is a carbon copy of the previous one. I'm not trying to diminish anyone's skills, either.

Back