Grilled "Steakhouse" style mushrooms? Need recipe

Ryan Ko

TVWBB Super Fan
Can anyone share a good steak house style mushroom recipe? I have tried several different ways of making these and haven't come up with anything I am really happy with. I have tried them on the grill in a foil pan, on a cast iron skillet, etc.. Just need some new ideas.

We like grilled Portebello's with sauce.

My Version:
For the "Shrooms".
Clean the "Gills" and save them for the sauce.
Rub the Caps with EVOO and season with S&P to taste or any seasoning you like.
Grill With the Steaks over med heat until tender, turning once.

Sauce: (optional)
Sauté Minced Onion or Shallot, and Minced Garlic in some Butter.
Add the Shroom "Gills" and any meat juices that collect while sitting. (sometimes I add a little Beef Stock).
Slice the Caps in 1/2" planks and top your steaks.
Drizzle some of the sauce over them and dig in.

Ryan, if you're lookin' for portabello's, yeah, basically the same as MAC described... also, try splashin' on some red balsamic vinegar.

Baby porta's: i like a simple fresh crushed-garlic butter sauce marinade and in a foil pan high above heat with a constant stir. (this gives you time outside, grillside away from "them" with your favourite libation
icon_wink.gif
)

people ask me what tune it is i'm hummin'...
i'm not hummin'.

Ryan,we like to keep it simple. Saute some diced onions,add some minced garlic when almost cooked. Add medium thin sliced shrooms,and saute till done. Add a splash of worcestershire and S & P. Good stuff right there,Bubba!

I think that in some cases, good 'shrooms are more about the TECHNIQUE than the recipe.

I read in "The Way to Cook", by Julia Child, that the trick is to saute them in a hot pan, and not to do too many at a time:

Start by cleaning and blotting the mushrooms dry. They brown-up better when they are dry.

I like to use about 50/50 mix of butter and olive oil in the pan, with a little minced / pressed garlic. Once the oil starts to bubble, I start working.

First, I saute some diced or sliced onion (Vidalia, Spanish, or Red Onions), because the onions take longer, and it gets the pan "seasoned". I like to get the onions to caramelize a bit - nice and brown in spots, bordering on burnt yet not burned. This brings out the sweetness.

Next, I add a little more butter & oil, and cover the bottom of the pan with a loose layer of whole (if they're small) or halved or quartered mushrooms (if they're bigger) - then keep stirring. The mushrooms will seem to absorb nearly all of the oil at first, and then, after a while, they will start to "sweat" as some of the internal moisture cooks-off as steam, and the oil will re-surface. I usually like to get them a little browned around the edges / darkish brown on the flat side if they are cut into pieces.

When done, dump them into a warm bowl with the onions and repeat until all of your mushrooms are cooked. Then, you can add salt & pepper, and any other fixin's to the bowl, toss, and serve over a nice, thick, juicy steak!

Putting too many in the pan at once gives you soggy mushrooms - instead of evaporating as steam, the moisture accumulates in the pan, and they do not brown properly.

Try it - I'll bet it works.

Found this on the internet a couple of years ago and it is really good.

40 min | 10 min prep
SERVES 4
• 1/2 lb sliced mushrooms (I use crimini but white work as well)
• 1 medium onion, sliced into wedges
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1. Melt the butter and olive oil together in a frying pan and add the onions; let them cook slowly for 10 minutes, over medium heat, add mushrooms cook until the mushrooms are getting a little brown and the onions are nice and soft, about 20 minutes.
2. While there's still some moisture left from the mushrooms, add the Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, and garlic salt.
3. The mixture will thicken and it's ready to serve.
4. Serve with grilled steak and use leftovers for omelets.
5. Makes 4 servings if served with steak.

I just use the KISS method, and I don't really measure much I just toss it together.

Squeeze about a 1/4 of Italian Dressing (oil/vinegar type... Basalmic if you have it) into a frying pan.

Dice up a bit of onion and heat on medium-high until onions begin to soften.

Toss in some garlic.

You can add beef broth to the pan if you have it handy.

Continue to heat a few more minutes until mixture is boiling. Throw in a small box of fresh mushrooms and cook for about 4 or 5 minutes, stirring frequently to coat the mushrooms.

Usually I toss about a 1/4 cup of red wine into the pan (I use Marsala often but any good wine should work... but NOT bottled "cooking wine"). Continue stirring.
Occasionally I can flame off the alcohol here, but it is not neccesary. Let the mixture cook until the mushrooms get that nice dark brown color to them and the alcohol has evaporated (maybe 7 or 8 minutes).

Ladle atop or aside the steak.

Back