Grilled Marinated Chicken

MattP

TVWBB Super Fan
Just a couple of quick shots from my first "real" job (I don't count the brats I did on Friday, nothing special about those) on my new Performer...

8740179208_15f2d84994_o.jpg

8740179064_1474633e3a_o.jpg

Pretty simple marinade, 3/4 cup oil, 1/2 cup soy sauce, couple tablespoons brown sugar, teaspoon garlic. I let some chicken thighs soak in this overnight.

I can tell I will really, really like this Performer! When cooking this on my cheap gasser I never could put the chicken straight on the grate, it just flamed out of control. Rather I would always have to lay down a sheet of foil. Also, I felt like I had so much more control over the cooking area, with a very distinct direct and indirect heat area, thanks to putting the coals all on one side. Sure, I could do that with the gas grill, but it was small and only two burners, so I never felt like I had much control over it.

I can see that the next time I'm at the grocery store I'll want to pick up a few foil tins that are longer, to help give better coverage for drippings.

Good lookin' yardbird thighs Matt. Your marinade sounds good. Another one which works very good for chicken is plain ole Italian dressing. I use the cheap stuff at a buck a bottle and marinade for 24 hours.

I should mention that I've noticed it doesn't hurt the flavor if you scale back the oil. I've gone down to a little under 1/2 a cup of it before, especially if I was doing a smaller amount of chicken.

Doing so helps to cut down on some of the flames. Although, like I mentioned, I didn't notice nearly the flaming problem today with the Performer that I did with my old one. But either way, just worth mentioning.

Nicely done, your chicken looks great!!! A lot of people say using a gas grill is a lot easier to use than charcoal, I don't see it that way. Charcoal is a lot easier to control and everything tastes so much better too!!

Awesome looking chicken Matt! What I use on my Performer and other grills for drip pans, I
will just foil the indirect side and change the foil out when it gets real nasty. ;) I found that
this was easier and it also helped direct my airflow to the direct side which to me makes it
easier to dial in the temp I want.

Nicely done, your chicken looks great!!! A lot of people say using a gas grill is a lot easier to use than charcoal, I don't see it that way. Charcoal is a lot easier to control and everything tastes so much better too!!

I agree with John on the chicken and the grill. You can snuff out any flame in heart beat with the kettle, just take the air away.

After just a couple of cooks (did burgers tonight), I think I'd have to say the same thing, with regard to better/easier control.

The Performer flat out rocks, and I too use foil and cover the indirect area. Nice lookin chicken man!

Back