Grill tools

Warren Frank

Hello
Looking for recommendations for stainless steel grate tools such as grill grate cleaning brush (safe for stainless), tongs, burger flipper etc..
Thanks

Easily, the best tool for cleaning SS solid rod cooking grates is Chargon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UI1X0L2/?tag=tvwb-20
As far as burger flippers and tongs and such, just get good quality ones. I also suggest ones with longer handles. Maybe consider a big wide flipping spatula depending on the types of foods you will be cooking. I think Weber makes a good set, but you pay a pretty good premium for the name stamped on them.

Get one of those meat forks as well. I don't remember what they are called. They usually just have the two long tongs on them.

I like the Chargon as well. Don't be put off by it looking like it will be tedious to use. In real application it takes a few minutes at most. Nothing else will do more with less risk.

My favorite burger flippers are two OLD Weber ones. One is all stainless with holes in it and an unusual shape. I have never seen it for sale again. The other is a little more common from a set with brown plastic handles. It doesn't look as snazzy as the new Weber ones (I have one of those, too), but I like it better. It also included a set of tongs that are more like a spatula on one side and a slightly curved large spoon on the other. That's my favorite tool for flipping steaks. You might get lucky and find an old set of these on eBay.

This old Weber spatula on eBay is similar to mine except that it has a wood handle instead of brown plastic:

If you do hot dogs, Weber's current style of tools also includes a pair of tongs specifically designed for dogs. A GREAT tool!
THE TOOL ON THE RIGHT IS THE HOT DOG ONE:

They also have a matching wide "fish" spatula which can also help you lift up a pork shoulder or similar.

I tend to agree, what works well on the stove generally (Generally) works well at the grill. However, there are times when something more specialized can be a big help. 8DBC1E8B-AC1C-4090-885A-7F0003015D39.jpeg
It’s an “Oklahoma Joe” wide spatula $19.99 at Meijer’s. It’s nice for lifting bigger pieces, very good for fish, butts, briskets, etc. I’m more driven by what works than by who puts their name on it. A good tool is something that will last for years.
I have been collecting tools for years, I got a “Billy Bar” some time ago and it’s like the Chargon, works very well! An old Dexter burger spatula, a few varied bayonet forks. I just picked up a pair of “Pigtail” flippers but, have not used them yet.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with using a grill brush if you're using one made well that won't drop bristles. For that task nothing beats Libman products. The way they're constructed makes it impossible for them to drop bristles. Now, if you use it until they fatigue and break off it's different. But I change mine out fairly often and keep a new "spare" handy all the time. So when I need one I always have a spare and I simply rotate the new one in.
This is the product line https://libman.com/collections/other-high-power-grill-brushes/

Larry,
I agree those Libman brushes are a big cut above in quality. I finally bought one based on your strong recommendations and agree that, if used properly, they are quite safe. The Chargon turns off some people, but personally I like it very much. As a solid piece of stainless, it can scrape off even the burnt on stuff on the bottom of your stainless rod grates - that is when you are ambitious enough to tackle that!

I found the set I'm getting
Out of stock now but will be getting more 4-6

Where do ya’ll store your grill accessories - I’ve run out of space under my Performer and I’d like to keep the ATC outside (even if its in a case). So I’ve got a hunsucker, spare grates/insets, vortex, Chargone, etc.

I found the set I'm getting
Out of stock now but will be getting more 4-6
Those look VERY nice. I am sure they would give a lifetime of good service.

Back