2 TB. brown sugar
1 TB. whole cumin seeds
2 TB. chopped fresh oregano or 2 tsp. dried
1 TB. grated lime zest
2 TB. minced garlic
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
3 TB. olive oil

1 bone-in or boneless Boston butt, 5 to 7 lbs.
Citrus Sauce (recipe below)

1. Make marinade: Combine all ingredients except the meat and Citrus Sauce in a bowl. Set aside 1/3 cup marinade; cover and refrigerate.
2. Marinate pork in refrigerator overnight or up to 2 days.
3. When ready to grill, remove pork from marinade, shake off excess and discard the marinade.
4. Set up a charcoal grill with an equal amount of coals banked on opposite sides and a pan in the center to catch the juice. It takes time to cook the pork, so have extra coals available to replenish the fire.
5. Place the roast over the drip pan. Cover the grill and adjust the vents to maintain a temperature within the grill of between 300F and 325F. Add more charcoal as needed. Check the roast after 2 hours. When the meat is fork tender, transfer the pork to a cutting board and cover with foil. Let rest at least 15 minutes or up to 30 minutes. Carve the roast into 1/4" thick slices and serve with a little of the warm Citrus Sauce. Makes 8 servings.

CITRUS SAUCE
1/3 cup reserved Cuban Marinade
3/5 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice or to taste
1 tsp. sugar or to taste
2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 TB. water
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)

Pour all ingredients into a saucepan except cornstarch and cilantro. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook 5 minutes. Taste sauce, add lime juice and sugar if needed. Stir in cornstarch mixture; bring to a boil for 30 seconds. Stir in cilantro, if using. Makes about 1 cup.

Source: "Complete Book of Pork" - Bruce Aidell

Last edited:
Interesting, I've got three PBs sitting in the freezer and was looking for something a little different to try besides the standard pulled pork.
Thanks for sharing the recipe

You know Joan, I’ve been thinking that I should do a nice shoulder to shred for Cubanos and that might just be the right recipe!
Have you watched “Chef” on Netflix? Great movie, Aaron Franklin even has a moment on screen!

You know Joan, I’ve been thinking that I should do a nice shoulder to shred for Cubanos and that might just be the right recipe!
Have you watched “Chef” on Netflix? Great movie, Aaron Franklin even has a moment on screen!
Hi Tim, hope it works for you. Thanks for the movie tip. We do have Netflix.

I guess you guys don't look at my thread "The Grilling Game". I posted this recipe there yesterday. lol

Grill-Roasted Pork Shoulder Cuban-Style

Marinade:
1/4 cup Triple Sec or Grand Marnier
1/2 cup freshly squeezed LIME
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 TB. brown sugar
1 TB. whole cumin seeds
2 TB. chopped fresh oregano or 2 tsp. dried
1 TB. grated lime zest
2 TB. minced garlic
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
3 TB. olive oil

1 bone-in or boneless Boston butt, 5 to 7 lbs.
Citrus Sauce (recipe below)

1. Make marinade: Combine all ingredients except the meat and Citrus Sauce in a bowl. Set aside 1/3 cup marinade; cover and refrigerate.
2. Marinate pork in refrigerator overnight or up to 2 days.
3. When ready to grill, remove pork from marinade, shake off excess and discard the marinade.
4. Set up a charcoal grill with an equal amount of coals banked on opposite sides and a pan in the center to catch the juice. It takes time to cook the pork, so have extra coals available to replenish the fire.
5. Place the roast over the drip pan. Cover the grill and adjust the vents to maintain a temperature within the grill of between 300F and 325F. Add more charcoal as needed. Check the roast after 2 hours. When the meat is fork tender, transfer the pork to a cutting board and cover with foil. Let rest at least 15 minutes or up to 30 minutes. Carve the roast into 1/4" thick slices and serve with a little of the warm Citrus Sauce. Makes 8 servings.

CITRUS SAUCE
1/3 cup reserved Cuban Marinade
3/5 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup freshly squeezed LIME juice or to taste
1 tsp. sugar or to taste
2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 TB. water
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)

Pour all ingredients into a saucepan except cornstarch and cilantro. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook 5 minutes. Taste sauce, add lime juice and sugar if needed. Stir in cornstarch mixture; bring to a boil for 30 seconds. Stir in cilantro, if using. Makes about 1 cup.

Source: "Complete Book of Pork" - Bruce Aidell

1613357632798.png

The pork was very good. The cauliflower tots were a last minute substitute for the squash that went bad. The fruit salad was our attempt to try to eat healthier. DH came home yesterday with 9 different types of fruit. :eek:

In case you are wondering what that is in the white bowl. DH cooked another pork butt in the slow cooker in some of the marinade for another nights dinner. I guess he was testing it.

Aha, a picture from last years cooking of this recipe. It will have to do. DH cooked this again for last nights dinner. It marinated for 2 days. It was only 3 lbs. and DH did not cook it as long as the first time. Maybe that is why we thought it tasted much better this time.
Tim, Rich, did either of you make this yet?

It sure is nice when I find out that someone here makes a recipe I posted. I hope you will let me know, ;)

Sorry, I forgot about it, I still have it though. I'll run it by Barb and see what she thinks. I do have a bone in pork shoulder in the freezer, so the opportunity is there. I'll just have to see what the finance minister / war department would prefer as we just used up the last of our regular pulled pork.

Rich, just on this pork site, I am coming across soo many good things that we also forgot all about. Just not enough days :eek:

Back