Grill grate preference

Tom A.

TVWBB Member
I have been using porcelain coated cast iron in my gasser for years but was looking into aftermarket stainless grates.

What are the pros and cons of the stainless grates over the PC/CI?

When purchasing the SS grates should I be looking for a particular grade of SS (304, 316, etc)?

there is no downside to (GOOD well made) stainless grates over porcelain or plain cast iron. Other than cost. Well made heavy stainless grates will do ANYTHING cast iron will and will clean up easier and better. Don't fall for skinny wire, widely spaced junk (like the new grills are being made with). Get high quality stuff made with 3/8" rod, tightly spaced (so food does not fall through). RCPlanebuyer on EBay is a great person to start with

I tend to agree with LMichaels, but with that said I have cast iron grates on both of my gassers and would not trade for SS which I've had. I season my CI grates twice a year and have absolutely no trouble cleaning them because noting sticks to them. It's just a personal preference.
I did order some of rcplanebuyers SS for a friend and shipped them to Australia and was quite impressed with them, very well made and super thick high quality SS, they are the best of the best.

EDIT:
One other thing is if I lived in a high humidity area I would probably go with SS because of the rust issues with cast iron. But rust isn't allowed in Arizona so it's not an issue here:cool:.

Last edited:
It's a tough decision. I've had both. Both perform well. But I've come to prefer stainless. IMO it's easier to clean up and I think it is more durable.

I have the solid stainless rod type on both my old webers. One set is from rcplanebuyer on ebay. They are amazing but fairly expensive.The other set came from a company called bbq parts. Not quite as heavy duty but still good and less expensive.

If you go with stainless be sure to get solid stainless steel rods.

Back