Greetings from the Netherlands!

ReynaldLee

Hi all,

Longtime bbq-lover, and currently using a WMT57 (thats a 22inch for the non-metrics around here 😇).
Started doing “real” bbq-ing for about a year and a half now (before i stuck to regular grilling, using both direct and indirect heat). Now that im learning how to effectively control temperature i love L&S: best results so far include briskets and shortribs 🤤 IMG_9463.jpegIMG_9468.jpegIMG_8336.jpegIMG_8338.jpeg

Through “circumstances” and a “cosmic twist of fate” (mars, jupiter and neptune must have aligned, which in turn made the missus approve…) i’ll have a WSK in my backyard in a couple of days.

It seems there are plenty of WSK users around, so maybe some experienced users can help me out a little:

- do you ise charcoal or briquettes? Up until now ive always (to satisfaction) used the weber briquettes…
- do you use the charcoal baskets? Or just “dump” the coal on the lower grate?
- what would be the best way to set the temperature: “play” with the lower lever, or the top-vent?

Anyways, i look forward to reading up on this forum, probably learning all kinds of useful/handy tips, and getting inspiration for all kinds of recipes!

Last edited:

Hi, WELCOME!!!!!!!

Your pictures look great. What did you use on the meats?
They tasted even better ;)

I made a coffee-cocoa rub (which i saw on a YT-video) on both occasions (and now im “not allowed” to use another rub since boss-lady and the kids like it too much😅)

Ps: always love seeing a photo of the Dom, home sweet home :)

Last edited:
Welcome from Iowa. Looks like you've got things under control with the kettle. Great looking food. Enjoy your new grill. Lots of help to be found here for your questions.

They tasted even better ;)

I made a coffee-cocoa rub (which i saw on a YT-video) on both occasions (and now im “not allowed” to use another rub since boss-lady and the kids like it too much😅)

Ps: always love seeing a photo of the Dom, home sweet home :)
You know I just clicked on your avatar where you posted the city?

Welcome Sur, you can make very good looking beef ribs, and thecrub sounds interesting. Yes there are a few WSK cooks here that love show their fine cooks. I bet they would love help you out.
Enjoy the family here.

Welcome from across the channel! I have visited Utrecht and it is a beautiful city. Went for the Tour De France a few years back and the atmosphere was amazing. Also enjoyed sandwiches from Broodje Mario.

Your briskets look great. Do you watch the Pit master x YouTube videos? Always good and I remember him recommending native woods to the Netherlands he uses for smoking.

I am a WSM user and also just getting started. This side of the Atlantic we have less charcoal options and I have not been impressed with lump for smoking. Weber briquettes best I have found so far but not cheap.

Welcome from across the channel! I have visited Utrecht and it is a beautiful city. Went for the Tour De France a few years back and the atmosphere was amazing. Also enjoyed sandwiches from Broodje Mario.

Your briskets look great. Do you watch the Pit master x YouTube videos? Always good and I remember him recommending native woods to the Netherlands he uses for smoking.

I am a WSM user and also just getting started. This side of the Atlantic we have less charcoal options and I have not been impressed with lump for smoking. Weber briquettes best I have found so far but not cheap.
Manchester wasnt halve bad either on the two occasions i visited :)

I dont follow 1 YT-channel in particular: if i want to make a certain dish, i'll just search for videos and watch 2-3 to get a general idea and build of that.

What i'm mostly jealous about when reading through this forum is the plethora of options/cuts/quality beef (and to a lesser extent, pork) and the (way) lower prices on the "even further other side of the atlantic".

Now that you are here on this site, why don't you check out the hundreds of recipes I have posted here. DH and I have made an large amount of them. A lot of really good tasting stuff. 🥰 Please let me know if you do, OK?

Back