Greetings from the frozen north country!!!

Jason Westby

Hi all!

I have been visiting tvwbb for nearly a year and finally decided to sign on to the forums. (This really IS a big deal... I won't even to the whole "Facetube" thing.) I have learned a TON from this site and hope to be able to eventually pass something on. I own an 18.5" WSM (garage sale $20, never used!), a 22.5" OTP, and a garage sale find Smokey Joe. I let the WSM sit for over a year before getting the guts to fire it up. (Shame!) It only took one time last spring and I was hooked. I've had many successful cooks and a few not too successul ones! I've done ribs, the pulled beef sliders from the "cooking topics" part of the site, a ton of different fatties, and even a couple of turkey breasts for Thanksgiving. (Those came out so good that my Father In Law and Brother In Law who are both sworn turkey haters actually complimented me on them.) One of my favorite things is to buy fresh brats (Minnesota Brats with blueberries and wild rice are some of the best) from our local grocer and run them in the WSM with some oak until 165°-ish, then burn them on the OTP for just a few seconds. Yum! I love experimenting with my own rub recipes. Mostly because I get to say things like "I have to go rub my meat now." :p This year I plan on getting better at ribs, trying a brisket, and definitely a pork butt for some killer pulled pork.

So, thanks for all your help out there. I look forward to learning more and hope that I can help someone else out down the road!

Welcome Jason, those brats sound interesting, when I was a kid my dad used to take me fishing on a Boot Lake near Park Rapids, it was near a tiny little town that I cant remember the name of.

Hi all!

I own an 18.5" WSM (garage sale $20, never used!), a 22.5" OTP, and a garage sale find Smokey Joe. ...!

Welcome from a fellow newbie to these boards. Perhaps you could give us all some Garage Sale hints! A WSM for $20??? That's obscene and totally unfair.

Thank you all for such a warm welcome!

Mike Cosgrove: The little town you are thinking of is Emmaville. There is still a cafe and small grocery. I think the No-Tell Motel is still open as well. The wife and I stop there (for the cafe, not the motel!) when we are hiking the North Country Trail in that area.

Ron A: Just dumb luck on the garage sale find. Seems I can't find any used WSMs < $100 these days. Looking for one for my Brother-In-Law. Although he just came across a Holland (sp?) grill for free, so I think he is set for a while!

Brad Olson: Freaking Hilarious!!!! I'm calling it Pork Rapids from now on!

Thanks again all!!

Back