Greetings from Tallahassee, Florida!

Hello fellow grillers/smokers/outdoor cookers! My name is Austin Phillips and I am from Tallahassee, Florida. I have been grilling the majority of my adult life, recently have been smoking the past 4 years or so. My cousin introduced me to this when he purchased a WSM 18.5. He moved to jacksonville, and left his smoker here (apartment he rented does not allow it). Well I wanted to make sure it was going to be used, so I used it when I could, experimenting with Crown Roast of Port, Beer can chickens, Briskets, Butts, Picnics (i have found out, I do NOT like this cut), and Ribs (Spares and BB).

In the meantime, I have built an outdoor kitchen with a Weber Genesis built in ( will try and post pictures later ), that I use on a regular basis. My wife loves the taste of charcoal, frankly so do I, but I wanted the propane for searing and presentation and the convenience of cooking. Nothing beats sitting outside, lighting the grill (Weber charcoal grill -- do not know the model I just know it is a very awesome grill) and relaxing on the ambience this provides. Of course, with me, I think it is un-American to have a grill going, and not have a cold beverage in hand! :)

Usually I would just buy what ever rub looked appealing to me (over the counter), but now have started to make my own "blend" of rubs, and now getting into making my own injections. My wife and I do not like "sweet" bbq, we like it with kick! She states - "Sweet BBQ is a cop-out, you are hiding the flavor of the meat because you did not cook it right!" <-- I agree!

My wife would notice me driving over to my Aunt's house and picking up the smoker. Finally she suggested I purchase my own. So I did for my birthday last week. I ordered the WSB 22.5, and I absolutely love it!

This past weekend I did 2 racks of Spares and 2 racks of BB. I tried a new blend of rub, (little brown sugar, garlic/onion powder, cajun seasongs, cayanne pepper, paprika, salt/pepper) and injected each rib with a creole butter. Wowsers! They "pulled from the bone" and my guests and children (I have 2 kids, 12 y/o son, 9 y/o daughter) were singing praises. We do not use a sauce for our ribs, we like them dry.

Well I think that is enough for now, sorry for the long introduction, and I can't wait to get more involved in this forum and meeting new wonderful grilling fanatics like myself.

As soon as I figure out how to insert pics, I will. Any advice would be helpful and greatly appreciated!

Take care,
Austin

Bob, thank you for the welcome and also for the tip! Below I have some pics to share. Would love to hear thoughts, good or bad. I'm very open to criticism.

Hope that is not too many!

Regards,
Austin

Welcome Austin... Was going to start out with nice cooks... then I saw the TV in the kitchen. Awesome! Anyway, very nice cooks. It's apparent you've been at this for a while!

Thank you Bob S., and James. I'm glad I'm here as well. Thanks Cliff..the TV adds a nice flavor, especially during football season!! :) We call it the "Man-Kitchen"!! :)
(no disrepect to the women here that BBQ and Grill as well, please don't take offense) We really enjoy it and it has (so far) worked out extremely well. I will cook, rain or shine..sorry we don't get snow here in Florida. This weekend I will be trying jerky and will post results in the appropriate topic. Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Just backyard stuff. Have a 9 month old baby and typically very busy w/work during the week so not able at this point to think much about comp, but one day would absolutely love to. A lot of guys here are into the competition stuff, it's really cool to see that side of it as someone that has only been to the American Royal and only a couple of times at that.

Back