Greetings from Georgia

Leonard S

Hello all!
I am Leonard and I just received a WSM for Father's Day. I prepped it as I read here and my first smoke was 4 racks of BB ribs and a chicken quartered. Cooked it at around 250 via the weber temp gauge and they turned out well, though my wife said they were too smoky.

I have already modified the smoker to allow for a oven temp gauge to be inserted just below the top grate in the bolt hole. I have also ordered a tel tru temp gauge to put here. I bought one from my local hardware store (Weber grill replacement) and it immediately broke when I tried to pull it out of the mod. Also ordered a Thermopop to use on the meat, as I understand it will not measure the air temp at the grate level.

Plan to try a butt this holiday weekend.

Questions so far:
  • Spending alot of time stressing over getting the temp gauge at the meat level. I don't want to drill the WSM, so plan to insert the Tel-tru BQ-225 in a bolt hole at the top grate level to get as accurate of a read as I can. I will leave my mod so I can have it as an option. Does this sound like it is going to work?
  • Got a oil drip pan to set the smoker on to use on my deck as I saw on here. does this really provide enough protection from heat? It seemed to do fine.

This is a great site and I appreciate all the great ideas.

Leonard

Welcome to the group. Quit stressing about temperatures. I do 95% of my cooking with no thermometer.

Welcome Leonard. Your new WSM should have the gray round grommet on the side that allows for running probe wires through. If so go to amazon through this site and buy a Maverick ET-732 which has two probes(one for the meat and one with a clip that clips at grate level to monitor temperature there) and you will be in business. As for the oil drip mat I can't comment on their effectiveness since my grills/smokers sit on concrete. Good luck and keep reading on this site. I have learned a lot and continue to improve based on ideas found here.

Back