Greetings! Bought a used Genesis I thought was LP...

Here is the part setting on a frame.

1723238142866.jpeg

Here is the part in place on the frame. The tank is bolted onto the panel where you see the yellow.
You will also need the two tank bumpers that attach to the bottom cross member on the frame.

1723238267618.jpeg

Here's a picture of the valve spool from the existing manifold. Looks to be the continous type and the size looks to be NG.
So when the previous owner converted the grill from NG to LP they just replaced the orifices and kept the NG spools. Franken-Manifold.

Attachments

• spool.jpg
    spool.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 1
Here's a picture of the valve spool from the existing manifold. Looks to be the continous type and the size looks to be NG.
So when the previous owner converted the grill from NG to LP they just replaced the orifices and kept the NG spools. Franken-Manifold.
The size of that hole in the valve body looks like the NG version from my post above.

Now you need the orifice size for the mains, and the sear which is lower BTU and you'll be set

I was planning to go the NG route on this, but then scoped out the job of running a new black pipe line out to the deck. No good easy way to do it without lots of ripping up deck boards, etc. Plus I added up all the BTU/hr ratings for my other appliances (furnace/tankless/fireplace/dryer) and I'm already uncomfortably close to what my gas meter is rated to deliver.

So not wanting to add 40,000 BTU/hr to that system, I'll just be sticking with LP on the grill. Plan is to replace the manifold with the proper LP version for the main burners and a valve/orifice for side burner. @Cody Bratton has graciously offered to take a peek at his local grill bone yard.

I don't want to cut a giant hole in the bottom of the cabinet for the tank so I might just reposition the scale/hanger and rig up a heat shield under the drip pan, since I don't have that on my NG version. (I think the pan heat shield is not so much to protect the LP tank as it is to protect the user from burning their hand turning off the tank.)

Last edited:
Bare in mind even with a grill on there you will not ever achieve that "max". What are the odds you will have every gas using appliance or device going full tilt at the same time? Pretty slim to none I'd say. Black pipe is not the only way (at least here legally) to run gas. We're allowed to run CSST (how I ran to my tankless water heater), or gas rated PEX actually what our gas co uses to the house.
Both WAY easier and far more flexible to use

@Jamieson Olsen if you end up with LPG, I highly recommend moving the tank to the outside.

https://tvwbb.com/threads/outboarding-the-propane-tank-on-a-2016-genesis-e330.89672/

Great suggestion. I moved the tank to the outside of the cabinet this afternoon. I swapped the scale/hanger thing with one from my old Genesis Silver A so that the empty/full markers are visible from the front. I also reinforced the hanger with a piece of aluminum channel on the inside of the cabinet.

Back