Great orchard finder site

A few times new members inquire about where to get wood. People respond with Home Depot, etc. but I like the idea of free wood. If it's California, I know where the orchards and U-pick orchards are, in other states I've done searches and recently came across this one pickyourown you click on a state, get a map, click on your area and get a list of orchards, types of trees, etc. Perhaps Chris will add this to the resources page, it seems handy.

*on edit* Wow! They even list the UK! cool

cheers

morgan

Thank you Morgan!
I have picked up a hand saw for trimming trees that is good to keep in the trunk. Many orchards will have trimmings piled up. Just trim what you want. Most do not mind if you ask.

Thanks Morgan - great site. Alas, in my area (eastern / coastal NC) the only pick-your-own farms were for berries. Guess I'll have to carry arouns a hand saw as S Petrone does on my travels.

I did get some god pecan recently from a local golf course. A few months ago, I had asked them to let me know if they ever trimmed the pecan trees. They called 2 weeks ago and I got one huge limb - about 12 inches at largest part and totally probably 25 feet long! A few years supply!

Ray

Just a word of caution that if you see something listed on this site, call before you make a special trip. I know that a couple of the orchards that I called last year in Ohio are no longer in business or are not open to the public anymore.

Other than that it is a great site.

Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ray Crick:
Alas, in my area (eastern / coastal NC) the only pick-your-own farms were for berries. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I wood've thought it would be Nicotanium tobacum
icon_smile.gif

Morgan, thanks for the site info. Covers alot of stuff. I usually rely on my parents for info like that, they pick all kinds of fruits and veggies.

You can't pick your own tobacco though, who would want to? Used to be like slave labor workin' on the broad leaf farms in this area....

Rob

Morgan,

If I smoked cigs, I might be interested in picking tobacco. However, it is not really necessary to go out in the fields and actually pick it. During the harvest season, the carts they use to haul the tobacco have enough spillage that tobacco leaves are scattered all over the highways and you could just pick up the "droppings". Ha!

This is a big tobacco growing area, and if you are ever here in the autumn at harvest time, you MUST stop at a tobacco warehouse and smellthe aroma. It is so different from what you smell when it is lit and burning. The natural tobacco has a sweet, almost hypnotic aroma - something you will never forget once you smell it. (Right Kevin?)

Ray

Stu
Smaller branches (1 - 2 inches) can be ready in 6 monthes. It depends on heat, sunlight, humidity, and where you dry it.
I keep them as logs and saw off what I need right before using. You can tell if it's still to wet this way, the saw dust is "mealy" and sorta sticks together. You can also smell the freshly sawn wood, you'll know just by smelling that it's too wet. Best to wait a year.

morgan

Back