Grate cleanup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ

TVWBB Fan
Is there an easier way to clean the grates? Every time I smoke meat, I am in the kitchen scrubbing with a brillo pad to get the black gook and grime off. Is there an alternative (besides not smoking!)

Some people just brush off the big chunks with a brass bristle brush. You can burn them off on a gas grill is you have one, then brush. If you get all the coals hot in your WSM before cooking, you can put the grates on top of the charcoal ring and burn them off, then brush.

I've heard of people using oven cleaner, but I wouldn't recommend it. I just soak in the sink in hot soapy water and scrub by hand with a grill scrubber available at the hardware store. It's like a ScotchBrite pad attached to a handle.

Regards,
Chris

One alternative is not cleaning. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I just knock the crud off with crumpled foil and wipe with a paper towel.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Bennett:
[qb]One alternative is not cleaning.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If I tried that approach, the ants would carry my cooker off to their ant hill! You should see the way they crawl around inside my gas grill, even though I burn off the grates after each cook. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Regards,
Chris

Just tried another method Saturday that worked the best so far. We have one of those propane brush burners (harbor freight approx $15.00). Hooked to 5 gallon propane tank.

Put the racks on some gravel and nuked them! The crud just was all cremated and the ashes flew off. When I was done they were a light grey, hit a brush to them to knock off any remaining particles and they were ready for briskets.

This was the quickest and the most easy method I have used. Just make sure you don't burn your place down.

Hey guys!

I have found a great way to clean the grates on my WSM and Gold kettle. I got a plastic utility sink, the type you would see in a garage or laundry room, and I soak the grates overnight in very soapy water. They clean up like new after soaking. I keep it hidden behind my garage and I only bring it out to clean these grates.

It was nice that I did not have to pay for this sink. A friend was throwing it out. I do not know how much one would be new, but a large galvanized wash tub would do just as well.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT place the WSM grates in your gas grill with cast iron grates and expect to bake-off the gunk on you WSM grates.

You'll burn-off the seasoning of your cast iron grates.

Trust me on this one..........you'll thank me later.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lewjeff:
[qb]...DO NOT place the WSM grates in your gas grill with cast iron grates...you'll burn-off the seasoning of your cast iron grates.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Good point, Jeff. Burning off WSM grates in a gas grill is fine with any grates other than cast iron, such as porcelain coated steel, stainless steel, etc.

Regards,
Chris

Guys I read about cleaning the grates, I have had good success with taking a paper towel soaked with a small amount of ammonia and putting them in a trash bag and sealing the bag overnite. Crud comes off easy the next mornng washing with soap and water, drying and sraying with coat of pam. I only do this if they are really dirty. works for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back