Grandson's 30th Birthday Pulled Pork

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
My Granddaughter in Law asked me to do pulled pork for her hubbies 30th birthday surprise party. Yesterday I did a high heat cook on 30 lbs. of Pork Butts. The eleven pounder and one 9 pounder were probe tender in 7 hours running at 300 to 330° F. The last 9 pounder took 8 hours and 40 minutes. I rested them for 3 hours each and pulled them. This morning I reheated them in a 300° oven and took them to the party. The pulled pork was a hit with the guests and I was very pleased with the finished product. It was tender, very tasty, and moist.
I was surprised when I found that most of the fat had rendered out and tickled with taste and texture. I've never cooked a Butt at that temp and now I know it produces excellent pulled pork. Until I got my Smokefire I never tried high heat cooks because I didn't want to lose the smoke taste. The Smokefire produces good smoke at those temps. There were 3 pans full of pulled pork. I'm 81 and my 2nd heart attack a year ago has really decreased my stamina. If I didn't have the Smokefire I don't think I would still be doing Q.11-18-22 Cody's Birthday 1.jpg11-18-22 Cody's Birthday.jpg

You’re the kind of neighbor I hope to have when I retire. Someone who’s chill, fun, dedicated and I’d cook for you and your family for events like these. Good on you for your pushing forward despite health challenges. And your food looks great, as always.

My Granddaughter in Law asked me to do pulled pork for her hubbies 30th birthday surprise party. Yesterday I did a high heat cook on 30 lbs. of Pork Butts. The eleven pounder and one 9 pounder were probe tender in 7 hours running at 300 to 330° F. The last 9 pounder took 8 hours and 40 minutes. I rested them for 3 hours each and pulled them. This morning I reheated them in a 300° oven and took them to the party. The pulled pork was a hit with the guests and I was very pleased with the finished product. It was tender, very tasty, and moist.
I was surprised when I found that most of the fat had rendered out and tickled with taste and texture. I've never cooked a Butt at that temp and now I know it produces excellent pulled pork. Until I got my Smokefire I never tried high heat cooks because I didn't want to lose the smoke taste. The Smokefire produces good smoke at those temps. There were 3 pans full of pulled pork. I'm 81 and my 2nd heart attack a year ago has really decreased my stamina. If I didn't have the Smokefire I don't think I would still be doing Q.View attachment 62953View attachment 62954
Great job Lew!
What are you doing in early April? I got my 75th coming up and would really like some of that without the work:)

Back