Graduating up: ribs...

George ATL

Hi everyone - ok, so I'm onto ribs after my experiment with chicken went well-enough to make me try something more controlled (temperature-wise).

I have ribs in the fridge waiting for the grill to reach its target temp and using the "Minion Method" to heat a full ring of charcoal topped with 1/2 chimney starter. The temp is climbing a lot quicker than I thought it would - though seems to be rising a little slower now (with a full water pan, btw) but the temp continues to climb.

I've had to adjust bottom vents a little - one is completely closed, and the other is 3/4 closed. The third vent is open 100% - as is the top vent.

Should I be following a different heating method or try to slow the temperature climb? I've already exceeded my target temperature (225-250) and don't see any chance that the temp is going to pull back with more time.

Thanks everyone - appreciate any help to better moderate the temps.

g.

Need to catch the temp on the way up. Close your bottom vents a bit more. Throw the ribs on and keep an eye on the temps. They should start to drop. You need to wait 15-20 minutes after adjustments to see what the cookers going to do.no problem cooking ribs at the 250-275 range, they just take a little less time.

Thanks for the reply, Bob. I've closed two of the bottom vents, and the other is open 1/2 way.

I think I'm using way too much charcoal in both the ring & the chimney. I'm up over 290 degrees now and just starting to level off.

Hi George,

just an fyi... the amount of unlit in the ring does not control temperature, unless that amount is too little. What does control temperature is the amount of lit and the amount of air supplied. And what helps most while controlling temperature... patience. :wsm:

You will be just fine. Bob's suggestions are right on, including the temperature range. The fat in the ribs tend to render better when closer to 275.

Last edited:
How did they turn out?

Hi Bob - thanks for asking. I guess it depends on who you ask. No one complained... :)

The meat seemed to toughen up after coming off the grill and after sitting for a few minutes. While cutting the slab, the bones seemed to come out pretty easily and cleanly. Once we put the food on the table, the meat just seemed less tender and didn't pull away from the bone nearly as easily or cleanly.

I also tried foiling the ribs and let them braise for about 30 min. with apple juice.

It wasn't the finished product that I had hoped - but i'm not discouraged. Like I said earlier, I think I used too much charcoal in the beginning and had a really difficult time managing the cooking temp for the first couple of hours. I probably ran anywhere between 275-300 degrees for the first two hours of cooking.

Back to the drawing board -
g.

Fewer coals to start and adjust your vents before you reach your preferred temp and you'll be nailing temp control. Sounds like those ribs needed just a bit longer on the cooker. Soon you'll know just where to set the vents for different temps and things will be easy. Trust the people who eat your food, we are our own worst critics and not everyone will politely say that your food was good even if it was terrible. My friends are my best critics but thankfully they rarely have anything to complain about.

George how long was the cook? Your description of the ribs has me wondering if they were not cooked long enough. There many variations when it comes to cooking methods for ribs depending on whether they are back ribs or side ribs, but they should not have been tuff. If anything the opposite from cooking too long but again that depends on what you like.
If your cooker ran at 290 this won't ruin the cook, it's just an adjustment to have to make in time.

I am with Gary S. on how long did the cook take? My first attempt at ribs was on Friday using the 3-2-1 method:http://virtualweberbullet.com/rib5.html This was how I judged my cook and will be making adjustments based on that. I only used maybe between a half to 3/4 full charcoal ring with minion method as well. I am glad you're not discouraged by the first attempt.

I suggest trying to leave two of the three vents completely closed from the start and adjust with the third vent only. Try to pick the vent that is away from any prevailing wind at the time. I learned of this method on this forum and it has helped me not only to keep temps stable on the way up but to keep the temp stable during the cook. Also if they weren't falling off the bone and had some tug to them they were most likely just a bit underdone. I bet they will be great next time.

Back