Got the first cook in on my 18.5...need some direction on a mod

Rob - TexasRob

TVWBB Member
Hello all,

Can't believe how quick it temps and stays there. Here is my concern, that top rack doesn't seem to stay secure on the top hinge. If one isn't careful food and all is falling in the pit. I have been told there is a washer trick that will help with this known problem. I couldn't find anything in the mod section. Can someone point me in the right direction or add the link please?

Once that top rack sits secure/tight, I will feel more comfortable doing ribs or a pork shoulder. Once I get this issue resolved, I'm going to have a lot of fun with my newest smoker!!

Thanks

Rob

That shouldn't be a problem. Perhaps you are using the grate meant to go directly above the water-pan.
Try measuring both grates, if they are both the same diameter it's possible that Weber included the wrong grate.

No one rack is definitely bigger than the other. I have been reading and told that some have experienced this issue. It is a "out of rounding" problem, and to add two washers between the L rack and the inside wall of the upper portion and one washer to the lower part to help extended the L rack so the grate will rest more securely. I will be in minor mod mode this weekend.
-Rob

If the problem is that it's "out of round", can you not just squeeze it back into round?

My bottom and center portions were fine, but my lid was very noticeably out-of-round. I just squeezed it a bit and now it's fine.

Not sure if that applies in your situation, but it's worth trying before making any mods.

Jason

I will have to take a look closer today. The top rack fit like 3/4 the way, it would clearly fall in the drum if one bumped it with a cooking utensil. I can try to squeeze the mid section to see if it brings the L brackets in closer to ensure the top racks sits firmly on the 4 hinges. If not I will be going to HD to get some washers. Thanks for all the input!

-Rob

my 18 had same issue. solution was to put a few fender washers in between the smoker body and the brackets that hold the grates and bowl.

Charlie ...how many fender washers did you use on each bracket to fix the issue? Also what size washers should I get? Did it solve the problem? I was told 2 washers on the top of the bracket and 1 washers on the bottom bracket to really tighten it all up.

-Rob

Last edited:
I had the same problem with the top grate not being stable.

As the smoker comes from factory the top L shaped tab doesn’t extend inward far enough to really stabilize the upper grill – you run the risk of the edge of the upper grill slipping off a tab and dumping the food items – really ugly.

Install a spacer between the L shaped bracket that the upper grill rests on and the body of the smoker. There are four L brackets – need a spacer for each L bracket. Spacer needs to be long enough to accommodate the two nuts/bolts that hold the L bracket to the body. Drill holes in spacers to accommodate the body bolts.

The spacer’s width needs to be the same as the L bracket.

The spacer’s thickness needs to be 1/8” (if my memory is correct, I used 1/8”) to 1/4“ – thickness isn’t all that critical.

Whatever the thickness of the spacers, you need to trim the lower brackets’ L shaped tabs (that the water pan fits on) an equal amount so the water pan will fit.

I used scrap aluminum for the spacers – could use several washers too.

This description may not clearly describe the mod – let me know and I can post a picture.

Do this for all four brackets.

The spacers solved the problem.

Hello John...thank you for the in-depth explanation. What I planned on doing was buying fender washers and putting them between the drum an L bracket....but I would greatly appreciate any/all pics that you could post. By "spacers"... Do you mean anything to put space between the unit and the L brackets? The pics would help....thanks. I cooked once on this unit and so looking forward to my next one, but I want to stabilize the top rack before adding anything heavy.

Rob

Yes, a “spacer” is anything metal between the body and the L bracket to move the end of the tabs inward.

When I think of “fender washers” I think of washers that are rather large in diameter (ie, 1” – 1 1/ 2” diameter). You don’t need a washer that big in diameter. A much smaller washer that has a large enough hole that the body bolts will go through the washer’s hole. I measured a body bolt’s threaded shaft and it's 1/4”.

I found a small washer in my junk drawer that is approx. 1/2” in diameter, approx 1/4” hole, and .07” thick – just right.

Stack on multiple washers til you get a stack approx. 1/8” – 1/4”. After you get all the washers/brackets bolted back in place, forcefully wiggle (pressing down too) the top grate all around to make sure there is enough tab underneath the grate, on all sides, to keep the grate was slipping off any of the tabs. If needed, add more washers til the grate won’t slip off a tab.

With the 1/8” aluminum spacer in place, the factory body bolt was just barely long enough for the nut to be threaded on. If you need a thicker spacer, you may need longer body bolts for the nut to thread on.

Whatever number of washers you determine for each of the top body bolts, use the same number of washers for the lower body bolts too.

You’ll need to trim (I used a grinding wheel) each lower L bracket tab the same amount of space as the washers. Otherwise the water bowl won’t slip into place.

The picture of the bracket / spacer is an old one and sad to say, a little hazy. I tried to take a closer picture this morning, but the bracket area is so gunky (or should I say, well seasoned) you couldn’t see any details. Ignore the lower L tab on the bracket – it’s part of a modification to add a charcoal platform for grilling steaks.

wsm%20grill%20modification.jpg

Last edited:
Large finder washer on a round barrel is either going to bend the washer or the smoker body. I'd use lock washers. They are thick so you get a nice spacer and they are small in diameter.

If this is a new smoker, you should not have to be playing around to make things safe. Call Weber and let them replace it.

Thanks for all the input...the top grate just wasn't fitting as secure as I would have expected. After reading that a lot of users had the same issue I felt a bit better it just wasn't my unit that was defective. That being said am I happy about needing to add washers to stabilize the top grate to be comfortable to add a pork butt or ribs, No...but I don't feel that my cooker is so severely beyond repair to contact Weber. I tried to do the gentle "bear hug" as well to correct the out of round issue, it seemed to help somewhat. I'm just staying optimistic that tomorrow when I go get the washers that the L brackets will be pushed in enough to make me comfortable to secure that top grate. Thanks to everyone!

Charlie ...how many fender washers did you use on each bracket to fix the issue? Also what size washers should I get? Did it solve the problem? I was told 2 washers on the top of the bracket and 1 washers on the bottom bracket to really tighten it all up.

-Rob

Sorry for the late response. Crazy week at work. One washer behind each strap did it for me.

Back