Got myself in a lil' painting pickle!

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Long story but pre sold a flipper and I was busy in life at the same time....the buyer was very patient because he had seen pics of my work and wanted a full resto for a fair price. Now for the pickle....I was painting the frame with high heat ultra and the damn can started spitting.....I turned the can upside down to clear the tip yet still spitting ruining my prep work. I wiped the tip clean still spitting. I was pissed and finished the frame with regular Rustoleum gloss black. I tell ya the regular stuff goes on so much better then High Heat. Anyway.....I sprayed the frame area where the cook box meets the frame with both a bad coat of high heat ultra.....followed on top with regular gloss black.......I know its a no no.......but I am out of time and need to get this grill done. Have u guys tried non high heat paint on the hot part of the frame and seen it fail????? Will it absolutely fail? Does the frame get as hot as the cook box???
Next question........I need to fire this baby up tomorrow......and deliver late afternoon. Now this really doesnt even give 24 hours for the regular gloss black or the High Heat Ultra to cure. In addition to that pickle I " rolled " on a second coat of High Heat satin to the cook box tonight at 9pm...........so if any of this ramble makes any sense.......do u think I am safe to do a test burn tomorrow around 3pm ish......that would be like 15 to 17 hours of cure time in a hot humid warehouse :( I did leave a fan blowing on low to circulate some air....this damn humidity this summer has been insane.

Anyone still following this mess?

Maybe not ideal, but I think you will probably be fine. A fan will definitely help the process.

Ya I am ashamed of my amateur hour showing tonight.......being in a hurry messes with the process. If I had time I could have stopped and soaked the tip in solvent......fixed the issue and moved on.....but let my frustration with the spray can get the better of me and just went to town.
I will put the ole gal together with all the shiny new parts tomorrow.......if everything feels dry to the touch I guess I will throw it to the fire

Jim: I understand your pain. When I do a frame, I do just the area around the cook box with the high heat and then use 2X gloss black on the rest of the frame.
I am not sure if your situation will cause problems or not, but I don't think a 17 hour cure time will be an issue. I think that stuff is supposed to be ready to use much sooner than that. The label says allow to dry at least one hour before heating.

I would fire it up tomorrow morning on high. Let it go to max temp and then keep it going for another 15 minutes. I would say that if the paint holds, you will be good. You could offer the guy a 3 month warranty on the grill too.

Thanks Bruce......yes I was thinking about the warranty as well. I would have no problem picking it up and re painting the frame for the guy if it bubbles up. I tell everyone I sell to that I want them to be happy at all costs and to please call me if they need anything. I have only sold approx 8 to 10 grills and dont plan on doing this forever....so I want the people I leave in my wake to be pleased with their purchase.
Question for you......When you use two diff types of paint how do you transition from one to the other? I mean I was doing the same thing because I read before that you were doing this......but basically the 2 paints have to overlap at some point unless you are taping the transition right? No question the X2 or regular gloss black rustoleum go on very easy and adhere very well.

As to your question about does the frame get as hot as the cookbox, I was running 3 burners on just over medium yesterday (with GrillGrates) and used my el cheapo IR thermometer on the frame rail in front of the cookbox...I got a reading of 336*F. I was more interested in the 9057 handle light and it was at about 139*F at the top. At the grill it was about 536*F. I wasn't too concerned with accuracy because of the cheap instrumentation. (I received training and a Level 1 Thermography cert in 2015 from FLIR as part of my employment.)

yikes.......I was wondering what temps just regular ole Rustoleum can handle.......well were about to find out tomorrow

Jim: I just spray a little past the cook box on each end and then blend in the 2X. I am sure some of the 2X actually gets into the cook box area, but I have not seen a problem. With a real discerning eye, you could probably notice the difference in the two areas, but once you put the grill back together, with the tables and the control panel, the top of the frame is mostly covered up.

Yikes......200 aint gunna cut the mustard as they say.......what ever that means. Oh well.....I will fire it up tomorrow as late as I can and still be able to deliver the grill. If it fails the delivery is postponed .....if it works......I will deliver and offer a warranty.

Good luck, Jim! Remember, that was with GrillGrates, which trap the heat, so I think you will be ok. And there is always the ambient IR that I didn't account for, so I think your actual temp will be much lower on your setup. GrillGrates says about 200*F - 250*F hotter for gassers, so how that relates to frame heat I don't know. I'm waiting for the next ThermoWorks sale to pick up a decent IR thermometer so there's that, too.

All of my flips including my keepers I used 2X on the whole frame. My personal Gen2000 I did about four years ago and we use it for the griddle so it gets really hot. Still looks like the day I painted it, don't think you're going to have an issue.

Good luck, Jim! Remember, that was with GrillGrates, which trap the heat, so I think you will be ok. And there is always the ambient IR that I didn't account for, so I think your actual temp will be much lower on your setup. GrillGrates says about 200*F - 250*F hotter for gassers, so how that relates to frame heat I don't know. I'm waiting for the next ThermoWorks sale to pick up a decent IR thermometer so there's that, too.
Ed, you can pick up a decent IR thermometer from Harbor Freight for about $25.

Hey Rich.....u have given me a glimmer of hope!!!!!
Thanks Ed and Bruce for all of your replies........

Ed, you can pick up a decent IR thermometer from Harbor Freight for about $25.
Yeah, I bought this one in 2015, but after using a thermal imager at work and going through the training it seems kind of inadequate. But it's good enough for a hobbyist as long as you don't rely too heavily on the accuracy.

1599151428816.png

Back