Got carried away

Like I said, it sprayed on like any other spray paint when I used it. I would suggest maybe two or three thin coats to avoid runs or pooling which take more work with the sand paper to smooth out.

Usually I try to do the rear / underside first, as I always get better about drips and things as I go :)

Thanks, I just don't have experience with rust encapsulators, so I don't know what they look like under paint. If they are sandable, then that is excellent!

It looks like a satin black paint when dry and cured. Only VERY hard. It's like trying to sand ceramic LOL so if you want it exposed you gotta do a good job

Ceramic sands poorly, so I guess I'll just do a coat or two of rust encapsulator everywhere so the finish ends up even! I trust my abilities to do whole pieces better than feathering in with tricky products, so when the spring comes again it'll just get coated and bulletproofed with rust encapsulator and hopefully no problems with the frame for a long, long time :)

I just got this back from EASTWOOD:
Danielle J

Danielle J. (Eastwood Company)

Mar 7, 16:29 EST
Hello Bruce,

Thank you for contacting the Eastwood Company. The only difference between the red and black rust encapsulator is the color.

Have a great day!

Danielle J.
Customer Solutions Team
The Eastwood Company
263 Shoemaker Road
Pottstown, PA 19464
Monday-Friday 8am-7pm
Visit us at http://www.eastwood.com/
---------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Bruce
E-mail:
Telephone:

Comment: Hi, is there any difference between these two products other than the color:
Eastwood Rust Encapsulator Aerosol Red 15 oz
Item #16040Z Brand: Eastwood
and
Eastwood Black Rust Encapsulator - Paint Over Rust
Item #Encapsulator 16060
thanks,
Bruce
=======================================

So, for our grills, I would go with the black just because it better matches the finished color of the grills. But, yes, it sprays on just like any other spray paint or primer. However, it has properties beyond that of paint and primer, where it actually neutralizes rust instead of just covering it up. And the long spray nozzle will allow you to get into places that could be prone to rust.

The Eastwood product continues its march to the top of my order list for spring, narrowly edging out POR-15!

All very interesting. What I had picked up on from this site was all POR-15, and it certainly works. But this new discussion definitely makes the "rust encapsulator" sound interesting. I see it isn't cheap either. I also wonder how well the spray cans hold up before gumming up.

I will be interested to see some actual applications with pictures!

I used it on one grill last summer. I have a Silver C in the garage waiting for attention and it has the common rusted out part where the bolt goes through the frame into the cookbox. But, I think the rust is too bad to try to fix it up with the Eastwood. I think it is going to require a replacement. I could probably get away with just grinding the loose rust and spraying some Eastwood over it with a couple coats of paint and then selling it as is, but I don't want to do that to someone. I will have to figure out a way to patch in a replacement bar.

THis is a view of the rust from below the bar showing the damage on the inside of the bar next to the cook box.

F2R35oT.jpg

Bruce,

You are probably right and I admire you being an honest restorer/seller. I did a Genesis Gold extended frame for a friend like that one, but I got lucky and convinced my sheet metal friend to come up with a replacement stainless square tube that he welded in for me. I have been trying to get some long stainless tubes for the bottom frames for two of my projects, but he is always too busy.

On the bottom I only plan to use those inserts and bolt them to the vertical frame parts. I am wanting to switch one of my grills from a closed in cart where the bottom provides part of the support strength to an open cart. Without the bottom (or one of those "basket" pieces), the grill would wobble, thus the need for long cross pieces.

Jon

Last edited:

Back