Got an old WSM from Storage

DGibb

Hey there everyone!

I have just received a nice 18.5" WSM :wsm22: from my wife's grandfather. Until now, I have been using an old Brinkmann and my 18" Weber Kettle to smoke. I am looking forward to taking a run at using the new toy.

There may have been some critters around the WSM since this was at a cabin. How would I best clean it without ruining any seasoning it may have?

He says he bought it back when it first came out, so I am going to check for a date code tonight. Maybe I have an old one! The only thing I can say for sure is that it doesn't have a built in thermometer.

congrats on the find. from a brinkman and 18 kettle this is going to a whole new world in a good way! Clean her up and take some pics. There are plenty of folks who can ID how old she is!

just wash the outside with soap and water. a good burn inside will clean it from that side. then go for it :)

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement.

It has the date code L on the damper, which apparently tells me it is from 1989. Are there any advantages to having a vintage smoker as opposed to new? I know Weber has maintained quality, but were there any real changes?

I have the original recipe book from it also that is dated 1981. I didn't see it in the scanned archive. I might get around to scanning it in myself for people to look at. Edit: Looks like the book is already on the site. Nevermind!

Last edited:
I will likely smoke up some St. Louis ribs and ABTs in a week or two. My schedule is packed right now.

I am loking forward to making up some Jerk chicken also in the relative near future.

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement.

It has the date code L on the damper, which apparently tells me it is from 1989. Are there any advantages to having a vintage smoker as opposed to new? I know Weber has maintained quality, but were there any real changes?

I have the original recipe book from it also that is dated 1981. I didn't see it in the scanned archive. I might get around to scanning it in myself for people to look at. Edit: Looks like the book is already on the site. Nevermind!

Imho, the biggest change was to more substantial legs.

@DGibb, the way Weber stocks parts for old kettles and smokers, I would think you could replace or even upgrade anything you wanted. Might cost a little more, but ~$300 for a new WSM is still a lot more.

I scored my WSM from a Craigslist seller in Auburn Hills. He'd used it only three times, so everything was essentially brand new.

Doesn't the newer ones also have a rolled edge on the base. That way the mid section is slip fit on / into to the bowl. Where as the older ones have a flat lipped surface and the mid section just sits on the ledge? Like how the lid fits.

Doesn't the newer ones also have a rolled edge on the base. That way the mid section is slip fit on / into to the bowl. Where as the older ones have a flat lipped surface and the mid section just sits on the ledge? Like how the lid fits.
On all WSMs the bottom of the center section sits inside the charcoal bowl with a ridge towards the bottom of the center section that sits on the lip of the charcoal bowl.
The overall design of the WSM is unchanged since the official introduction in 1981. The only real changes on the WSM have been "superficial" and cosmetic, such as going from steel legs and doors to aluminum, changing of the legs to a more substantial design that hold a heat shield, adding a lid thermometer, and then adding the probe port and changing the style of the door latch. I think recently Weber may have added handles to the lower cooking grate.
Of course there was the introduction of the 22.5" WSM, the reintroduction of the 14.5" WSM, and the handles have changed frpm double rivet wood to single screw wood to single screw light gray to single screw dark gray.
The "bones" remain unchanged.

Last edited:

Back