Got a chance to upgrade to a 22"..... should I?

Steve M.

TVWBB Fan
I currently have a pair of 18.5" 's that I've had for years and frequently use them both when I do big cooks. I have a shot at a new 22" with minor cosmetic damage, at a great price.

For those that have used (or own both), how do you feel about the 22"er? My current cookers rock - I frequent can get 14-16 hours on a single load of charcoal. I've heard some negatives about being able to hold fire for a long time in the 22". Aside from the capacity gain, why else would I want to pull the trigger?

Note: I'll still keep one of the 18.5"s :)

To me, the advantage of the big cooker is mainly with ribs. The bend test is the my favorite way to check them, but they need to be full-length, which results in very over-cooked ends if using my 18. I can cook as many slabs of ribs in my 22 as I'd ever care to if using rib racks, but foiling (which I always do if cooking back ribs) is much easier cooking flat on the grate. I've cooked nine slabs of St. Loueys or back ribs, three to a grate using my extra middle grate. I could cook even one more per grate and a couple on an 18" extender for a total of 14 slabs if cooking baby backs (back ribs under 2 lbs).

Other than that, yes, you'll save charcoal with the 18, but the big 22 will save you time since it gets up to temp quicker (for the same meat load). Four butts are going on mine Saturday morning, and I'm not getting up at 3am to do it. :wsm:

I have both an 18 and 22. I use the 22 more. I have done over nighters with it as well with no worries on temp. If you have a chance at a 22 for a good price, jump on it.

Ken

Steve, I would go for it! I would get rid of the 18 also, I will PM you with directions on where to send it to properly dispose of it.:)

I have both sized WSMs and I use them both.
The larger grate size of the 22 1/2" model is a good thing. Bigger aluminum pans and full length racks of ribs fit in it.
The big WSM does use more fuel than the smaller one. On shorter or lower temperature cooks, I use an 18 1/2" charcoal ring in my 22 1/2" WSM, it helps lower fuel usage a bit.
Go for it!

Thanks for the input. Just back in from work..... I went and checked it out. The guy sells overstocks and had an 18.5" for $175 and the 22" for $200. The 22" had a small place with paint scraped off the middle section. Nothing some high temp grill paint can't touch up.

This thing is a beast!! Can't wait to test it out this weekend. Our best friends' son is in on leave from the Air Force. Got an 11# brisket, 3 racks of spares and 6# of boneless thighs. Gonna load'er down and feed the troops.

Thanks for the input. Just back in from work..... I went and checked it out. The guy sells overstocks and had an 18.5" for $175 and the 22" for $200. The 22" had a small place with paint scraped off the middle section. Nothing some high temp grill paint can't touch up.

This thing is a beast!! Can't wait to test it out this weekend. Our best friends' son is in on leave from the Air Force. Got an 11# brisket, 3 racks of spares and 6# of boneless thighs. Gonna load'er down and feed the troops.

You didn't happen to get this deal from "Tadd Wholesalers" in Murfreesboro did you? Your location is close enough that I had to ask. They have dealt some really good deals on Weber charcoal products. I check their eBay auctions from time to time to see if there's a deal worth snagging.

You didn't happen to get this deal from "Tadd Wholesalers" in Murfreesboro did you? Your location is close enough that I had to ask. They have dealt some really good deals on Weber charcoal products. I check their eBay auctions from time to time to see if there's a deal worth snagging.

It wasn't. It was a guy in Nashville. I think his business is call Yard Sale? Anyway, he had a small warehouse space full of stuff. The 2 WSMs, a couple of Weber propane grills, some electric smokers, and tons of other stuff - patio furniture, lawn mowers, kitchen appliances, etc. Search the Nashville Craigslist for his phone number and all his postings pop up. 615-829-6020

Really good guy. After we spoke, he held the 22" for me, even though he got 10 more calls on it. He could have easily taken the first $200 that came in. I respect him for that and told him so.

I have both sized WSMs and I use them both.
The larger grate size of the 22 1/2" model is a good thing. Bigger aluminum pans and full length racks of ribs fit in it.
The big WSM does use more fuel than the smaller one. On shorter or lower temperature cooks, I use an 18 1/2" charcoal ring in my 22 1/2" WSM, it helps lower fuel usage a bit.
Go for it!

i had the same thing to say but bob said it for me. i agree w/ him. i have both. i use the 18 more for butts, chuckies and chickens but love having the 22 when i cook a mess of ribs.

DO IT ! I have both 18 and super big 22 that I build and dont even use the 18 anymore............I may use the little 18 for camping and day trips to a park or
something like that.

Peter

Back