Good read on various grill grates

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I found this interesting. I don't agree with everything in it, but it was interesting. I have a feeling it will elicit some strong responses.

Well the guy certainly knows a lot about bbq. I had previously read what he said about GrillGrates.

I think that his overall assertion that a uniform brown (not burnt black as I have seen some brag about) being the goal is hard to argue with. Larry has said pretty much the same thing. How you get there is more of a personal matter.

Larry would argue, I believe, that the thickest, tightest stainless rods are the way to go. He has shown us some awesome looking food to back up his claim.

Meathead isn’t a fan of my favorite - cast iron - either. But I am ok with the work and torments it can bring. (He is spot on about taking your cast iron grates inside cleaned and dry if you aren’t going to use them for a while.) I have had recent success with getting what I felt was good color on my steaks with cast iron by following Larry’s advice of not going for the highest temperature possible. I also did my crosshatch method that with thick, tight grates gives broad coverage from direct contact with the grates.

8D0838E1-790A-4EBA-A6F1-EF2FB42E20B4.jpeg

GrillGrates - Meathead’s surprising recommendation have strong merits but also limitations. I will step aside from the health issues of grilling with aluminum. It is very controversial. If you believe it is unsafe then no point in considering these. As far as how they work, I have found them unexcelled at making razor sharp grill marks. I agree with Meathead (and others here) who say that grill marks are just “eye candy” but I like it and my guests seem to as well. That is a part of the experience food provides.

I am going to try experimenting with using the flat side of my GrillGrates to briefly sear - not burn - my steaks before switching to the regular side. My goal will be more brown crust but augmented with noticeable grill marks.

The last thing I will say in support of GrillGrates is that they will take a grill with unevenness and annoying hot spots and even things out considerably while eliminating almost all flare ups. They work very well with fish and chicken with skin on, even things like pineapple slices. You also don’t have to worry about shrimp or asparagus falling through.

Last edited:
Basically what it comes down to regarding sear marks is that Reality = Perception. If a person thinks that well defined sear marks are better or more appetizing, then for that person, they are regardless of what any "expert" says.

Bruce great articles, thank you for sharing.
Many cultures flip the meat way more often than US grill culture, just watch any tv show from outside US. They always use thin wire grates with charcoal. I used to work for a food company, one guy that worked there for many years said “Americans eat with their eyes”, agree.

Last edited:
Sear marks are ok but nothing I try to get, I would rather have it cooked to the desired doneness with great seasonings , sear marks are burnt meat and might raise the risk of cancer according to some studies, another thing folks try to make folks think stead has to be eaten raw or very rare, fail, a good cut of steak will be as tender at well done as it is rare, wife wont eat pink or red meat, that makes it tough to cook for her as even ribeye's can have red looking meat due to the different muscle groups, I showed her with a therm that they were both same temp, made no difference lol

I have the pink issue with my wife. Sometimes on a larger cut of meat if done properly it'll have smoke ring (because I nearly always use smoke on beef usually cherry or mesquite). She will take that meat and put it back on or microwave it until even the ring is gone. Truly sad what she does to a piece of meat. Youngest daughter's SO is the same only worse. Not going into the GG fray anymore. Bottom line I dislike them for 2 reasons. 1. I don't want to take chances cooking on aluminum or in aluminum, 2. IMO they're a "crutch". Making a cook lazy rather than shooting for a quality cook performance just simply putting lines on to trick people.

Interesting Larry how those SS grates for the Q grills just naturally provide a very even and overall crust rather that cut sear marks on our beef.
The funny thing about them is the company probably would consider that a flaw.

I am going to try experimenting with using the flat side of my GrillGrates to briefly sear - not burn - my steaks before switching to the regular side. My goal will be more brown crust but augmented with noticeable grill marks.

Flat side GGs on a gasser is the way to go for steaks, chops, burgers, and anything else needing a sear. I probably use the flat side 3-to-1 over the rail side. GGs run hotter than PCCIs and (on a gasser) hot metal Maillards better than hot air.

Used the flat side on Christmas Day to sear the beef tenderloin before putting it in the oven. Flat side is also good for griddle grilling veggies and shrimp.

Rail side for me is mostly for chicken, especially chicken wings, which needs a longer cook. I do fish and bacon sometimes flat side, sometimes rail side.

The last thing I will say in support of GrillGrates is that they will take a grill with unevenness and annoying hot spots and even things out considerably while eliminating almost all flare ups.

Word. Being able to use the entire grill surface with no flare-ups really helps when doing 2 pounds of bacon or 8 pounds of wings. The use-able grill space increases significantly when you can do one big zone on low/medium rather than dividing the grate into two smaller direct/indirect zones.

They work very well with fish and chicken with skin on, even things like pineapple slices. You also don’t have to worry about shrimp or asparagus falling through.

Word. This is true whether using the rail or flat side.

I have a 36" Blackstone that if I wanted a sear it will put it on something, might as well use the flattop instead of the gasser with gg , now if you want some smoke use the gg on a Weber charcoal grill for the best of both lol

Well the guy certainly knows a lot about bbq. I had previously read what he said about GrillGrates.

I think that his overall assertion that a uniform brown (not burnt black as I have seen some brag about) being the goal is hard to argue with. Larry has said pretty much the same thing. How you get there is more of a personal matter.

Larry would argue, I believe, that the thickest, tightest stainless rods are the way to go. He has shown us some awesome looking food to back up his claim.

Meathead isn’t a fan of my favorite - cast iron - either. But I am ok with the work and torments it can bring. (He is spot on about taking your cast iron grates inside cleaned and dry if you aren’t going to use them for a while.) I have had recent success with getting what I felt was good color on my steaks with cast iron by following Larry’s advice of not going for the highest temperature possible. I also did my crosshatch method that with thick, tight grates gives broad coverage from direct contact with the grates.

View attachment 20195

GrillGrates - Meathead’s surprising recommendation have strong merits but also limitations. I will step aside from the health issues of grilling with aluminum. It is very controversial. If you believe it is unsafe then no point in considering these. As far as how they work, I have found them unexcelled at making razor sharp grill marks. I agree with Meathead (and others here) who say that grill marks are just “eye candy” but I like it and my guests seem to as well. That is a part of the experience food provides.

The last thing I will say in support of GrillGrates is that they will take a grill with unevenness and annoying hot spots and even things out considerably while eliminating almost all flare ups. They work very well with fish and chicken with skin on, even things like pineapple slices. You also don’t have to worry about shrimp or asparagus falling through.
Grill Grates are not bare aluminum, they are anodized, meaning they are coated. Here's a quote from Alzheimers.org's page on myths: "During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer's. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer's. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat."

Aluminum is everywhere. It is the third most abundant element on the planet. Studies always rate aluminum intake from cookware far down the list, behind air pollution, dust, drinking water, antacids, antiperspirants, buffered aspirin, occupational sources, etc. And the healthy human body has the capacity for excreting what very small levels end up in the body.

Last edited:
Basically what it comes down to regarding sear marks is that Reality = Perception. If a person thinks that well defined sear marks are better or more appetizing, then for that person, they are regardless of what any "expert" says.
Brown is the Maillard reaction and that we all know is flavor. Isn't the crust of a roast beef wonderful? Grill makrs are stripes of branded Maillard reaction. The rest of the meat is not maillarded so it is unfulfilled promise. But if you percieve that grill marks taste better than maillard, that is your reality. We can all agree that we eat with our eyes.

Bruce great articles, thank you for sharing.
Many cultures flip the meat way more often than US grill culture, just watch any tv show from outside US. They always use thin wire grates with charcoal. I used to work for a food company, one guy that worked there for many years said “Americans eat with their eyes”, agree.
There is good science behind frequent flipping. It prevents energy from building up on one side and creating the rainbow effect of a layer of dark brown, then light brown, then tan, then pink, then rosy. When you flip, with lid open, the energy bleeds off into the air and doesn't penetrate as much. As a result you get a more even rosy color.

Last edited:
Sear marks are ok but nothing I try to get, I would rather have it cooked to the desired doneness with great seasonings , sear marks are burnt meat and might raise the risk of cancer according to some studies, another thing folks try to make folks think stead has to be eaten raw or very rare, fail, a good cut of steak will be as tender at well done as it is rare, wife wont eat pink or red meat, that makes it tough to cook for her as even ribeye's can have red looking meat due to the different muscle groups, I showed her with a therm that they were both same temp, made no difference lol
Meat scientists use a device called the Warner Bratzler machine. It is essentially a metal tooth. They can apply precise pressures on meat with it. There is no question that a steak cooked medium rare (130-135F) is more tender than a steak cooked higher or lower. Well done steaks are demonstrably tougher. It is my experience that people who won't eat rosy or pink meat think they are eating blood. Of course it is not blood. It is water tinted pink by a protein called myoglobin. That is why it is thin and runny while blood is thick, dark, and coagulates.

Here's my idea of a perfect steak. Well, maybe the one on the left is a bit rare. But I show it to demonstrate how even the color can be if you flip often.

Attachments

• mr.jpg
    mr.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 8
  • perfect_steak.jpg
    perfect_steak.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 8
Wow! Well welcome to TVWBB. It's great to have your insight. As I mentioned above, taking a cue from you and some others here, I have been migrating more toward trying for a darker crust, but hopefully still with at least some grill marks, too - just because I really DO like how they look. I think a compromise appearance is possible and an attractive option.

If you are willing to answer one question: How do you feel about the role of seasoning being put on steak before grilling? I do understand the issue of pepper turning bitter, but I have always liked how my steaks look when I put Dizzy Pig "Cow Lick" on it before I start grilling. Do you think that I am missing something?

The center front ones below are what I was previously aiming for, but now I would try for somewhat darker. The steak toward the back left does NOT have Cow Lick on it and probably not on the one cut off on the far right - my wife doesn't like seasoning...:(Those two look too bland for me!

This Old Grill Steaks.JPG

Wow! Well welcome to TVWBB. It's great to have your insight. As I mentioned above, taking a cue from you and some others here, I have been migrating more toward trying for a darker crust, but hopefully still with at least some grill marks, too - just because I really DO like how they look. I think a compromise appearance is possible and an attractive option.

If you are willing to answer one question: How do you feel about the role of seasoning being put on steak before grilling? I do understand the issue of pepper turning bitter, but I have always liked how my steaks look when I put Dizzy Pig "Cow Lick" on it before I start grilling. Do you think that I am missing something?

The center front ones below are what I was previously aiming for, but now I would try for somewhat darker. The steak toward the back left does NOT have Cow Lick on it and probably not on the one cut off on the far right - my wife doesn't like seasoning...:(Those two look too bland for me!

View attachment 20229
I think we fall into two camps: S&P only, or a nice steak rub. I go both ways. But remember, ONLY SALT penetrates to the center. All the rest remains on the surface. A touch or sugar will help with browning, but I don't think steers need sugar any more than they need wolves. Pepper will only burn when it gets really hot. But to be safe I use large grain cracked pepper on steaks, not a fine grind.

And BTW, I have been a member/lurker of this great site for years, but somehow my membership was discontinued. I'm always uncomfortable showing up on someone else's forum for fear they will think I am poaching. Hence I have not posted often and I try not to post links to related articles, but much of this stuff is discussed in detail on my site.

Back