Good book for a new smoker?

Chad Dickinson

TVWBB Member
I have only done 3 things on my WSM. First, was the BRITU, then the renowned Mr. Brown, and finally, smoked chicken.

All were excellent. I am getting better already in maintaining temps.

I want to buy a book on the intermediate/advanced methods of smoking foods. Maybe a book with some tried and true recipes too.

Can anyone recommend a good "Smokers Bible?"

Thanks!

Chad

I have a couple of books I got for fathers day. My recommendation is that this board and the BBQ-4-U.com board have some of the best recipes and help you can find.

I looked through the books and haven't gone back to them.

Hi Chad,

To some extent I agree with Robert. I might recommend Smoke and Spice, which is a popular book and available through this site.

This board, and the expertise available through it is by far the best source I have found. It gives you a real opportunity to learn from the Masters.

Good Luck with your Bullet!!!

I own "Smoke and Spice" and Kirk's "Champ. Barbecue." Both are good. If you have a decent local library nearby, you might also check their collection. That way you don't have to spend $20 to get the three recipes you wanted from a book. As much as I like the two books mentioned here, I know there's stuff in there I'll probably never cook, like a kid goat that I'd have to get from my local butcher (?) or Kirk's "Baked Beans for a Crowd."

I totally agree on the library. I check books out, skim them, write down recipes I want to try or that fit my liking into hardbound lined notebooks. They'll keep over the years and get more use than a regular cookbook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Paul Kirk's "Championship Barbeque" or Raichlen's "How to Grill". Both are good books for beginners. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooops, I meant to add "Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook" can't believe I somehow left that off. Of course, it is much better than Kirk's or Raichlen's.
icon_frown.gif

Chad:

I would start with the Jamison/Jamison "Smoke and Spice". Word of caution...their temps are on the low side. I have notes in the front and thoughout my book... <span class="ev_code_RED">WSM Cooking Temps -- 225° to 250°</span> and <span class="ev_code_RED">Internal Meat Temp (pull apart) -- 190° - 205°</span>.

Aside from that...GRATE recipes and ENJOY.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
<--(BTW...don't peek!)

I'm always surprised to see people recommend that book, while saying that the times and temps are off.

With all due respect to the Jamesons, aren't the times and temps really important? Like the MOST IMPORTANT thing when learning to cook BBQ?

Smoke & Spice does get incredible buzz. My guess is that people like the recipes and don't have much difficulty adjusting for the temperatures in the book.

Regards,
Chris

I've had good luck with a book called:
Barbecue Secrets: Unbeatable Recipes, Tips and Tricks from a Barbecue Champion. by Ronnie Shewchuk

I happened to visit a Williams-Sonoma store when he was promoting it. His book tipped me off to smoking. The book covers a variety of cooking methods, not just smoking. I love his Chorizo recipe, and use his "championship rub" with mustard slather method on butts & ribs. Mmm good.

Plus, Ronnie's a Canuck!

I've got Smoke n' Spice, BBQ Bible, and all those other books. They make for nice reading, but like it has been mentioned, how can you learn something from a book if the times and temps are off.

Dr. BBQ's book is the best book I've found. With his book and this resources of this forum, you really don't need anything else.

PS: Ray... make my check payable to...
icon_smile.gif

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Ray's book, and there are a few things I really like about it.

One is that the recipes are pretty straight forward. I'm not into complicated recipes with lots of complicated ingredients, so I'm finding that I want to try several of the recipes, unlike other books I've read recently.

Another thing is that there is a whole chapter on recipes using leftovers. Great idea, don't think I've seen that in any other BBQ book.

Finally, there is a recipe that calls for...Gerber baby food! I'm not going to give it away here, you'll just have to buy the book.

Regards,
Chris

I have Smoke and Spice, and two Raichlen books, but Ray's book best suits my Mid-Atlantic tastes and ingredients. I took his class too. I'd never before or since gone ooh-aah over a turn in box.

Clausen

Back