Gonna try my first brisket, finally! need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_W

TVWBB Super Fan
Well, I'm gonna try the brisket 2morrow. Family is tired of butts, chicken, turkey, ribs, salmon. I've been avoiding the brisket cause I figure I'll screw it up. Not sure about all this trimmin' stuff! I've read all the info in the cooking section about brisket, and alot of seasoning recommendations. Has anyone tried using a spray bottle of beef broth for basting, instead of the apple juice? Do I use a commercial rub like Head Country, or go with one of the rub recipes here on the forum? I called Sams tonight and they have plenty of whole "choice" briskets and flats to. Gonna go with the 10 -12 lb range as suggested here on the forum, unless I try the flats. If they have a flat with a nice fat cap still on, I might try that.

Well its off to Sams in the morning to get the B word!! This brisket stuff just aint natural east of the Mississippi!!lol /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hmm... I've always found the whole briskets at Sam's are selects, and the flats are choice (IBP brand). The flats normally have enough fat cap left on, but I usually use them for patrami.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
[qb] Hmm... I've always found the whole briskets at Sam's are selects, and the flats are choice (IBP brand). The flats normally have enough fat cap left on, but I usually use them for patrami. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, thats what they told me on the phone.

Users here from Atlanta and Texas have reported choice flats and select wholes at Sam's as well. Guess it depends on the... Who knows what? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Edvik:
[qb] It is confusing. The whole briskets at the Sam's here in Utah are choice.

Jeff [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I went this morning and got one. They are "choice" as they told me on the phone last night. I hacked it up pretty good trying to trim it!lol.. Its recovering in the frig tonight with some dry rub on its wounds...guess I'll put it on the WSM at first light Sunday! I've taken some pics of my hack job, and will try to take some of the cook tomorrow. Oh well, I gotta learn!

Consider yourself fortunate-- I have done both selects and choices and would much rather use choice, even if it costs a litle more.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
[qb] Users here from Atlanta and Texas have reported choice flats and select wholes at Sam's as well. Guess it depends on the... Who knows what? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Doug,what brand did you say Sams has in your area? These have "Members Mark" on them. What is IBP?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What is IBP? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's a meat processor, like Swift's, owned by Tyson. Look on the bottom of the bag for a stamped logo, rather than a label.

[qb] <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What is IBP? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's a meat processor, like Swift's, owned by Tyson. Look on the bottom of the bag for a stamped logo, rather than a label. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh, ok, I just been looking at the stick on label /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I'm gonna dig up that bag, I'm curious now.

Jim, for what it's worth, I did my first brisket in the WSM today. 10 pound whole from Sams and I trimmed a little fat off it. Used the Midnight Brisket rub recipe from this site. average temp was 235 - 240* for 13 1/2 hours. Some of the Southern Sop for the butts ran on it from the butts above it. It came out perfect! Great bark on it and moist and tender. My wife thinks it's the best one i've ever done. Never foiled it and took it off at 186 - 192* internal.

Used hickory and a little apple wood.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back