Golf ball ding in lid!

K Straker

TVWBB Member
Somebody beamed my smoker with a golf ball and put a ding in the lid. The porcelain coating is not cracked. Should I try to hammer it out or just leave it alone. Leaning towards doing nothing. I could, however take a wooden dowl and a hammer and try to get it out. Thoughts?

I'd leave it. I would bet that the porcelean is in fact cracked (micro fractures at a minimum) and it would flake out if you tried to restore it to it's original shape. Try to keep it dry when not in use in the future.

Bill

I'd leave it also. Besides, it gives it character. Just tryin' to stay positive... it's Christmas.

Leave it! I have a big ding and chip in one of my WSMs and it has a little rust on it........cooks like it did without, just not a pretty!

Yes leave it... but it could turn into a problem for you, so keep an eye on it. There's a chance when you do some cooks on the WSM, the heat and expanding metal might cause the porcelain to lift off that spot. Time will tell but try not to bump or touch that spot since it has been damaged.

K,
You may want to try this, heat it up good and hot for a cook, then take a decent size chunk of dry ice and rub it around the dinger may also hold it on there but I've found a little circular motion helped sometimes. I've had this trick work on motorcycle tanks with dings where afterwards you couldn't tell it had been dented. I've have also seen it fix some of the hail damage on a jap car. We used a heat gun for the heat. Thicker metal like on older vehicles doesn't work as well but this old bodyshop trick may work on your grill. Dry ice is cheap and maybe worth a try. As already mentioned I'm not sure I'd pound it with a hammer at risk of cracking the finish.
Bradley

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Somebody beamed my smoker with a golf ball and put a ding in the lid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There has to be a good story here. How did someone happen to hit a golf ball that ended up at your WSM? Are you on a golf course or was it a neighbor just practicing? Just curious.

Ray

K-

It wasn't my ball, I think my ball hit the mailbox
icon_redface.gif
Fore Right!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bradley F:
K,
You may want to try this, heat it up good and hot for a cook, then take a decent size chunk of dry ice and rub it around the dinger may also hold it on there but I've found a little circular motion helped sometimes. I've had this trick work on motorcycle tanks with dings where afterwards you couldn't tell it had been dented. I've have also seen it fix some of the hail damage on a jap car. We used a heat gun for the heat. Thicker metal like on older vehicles doesn't work as well but this old bodyshop trick may work on your grill. Dry ice is cheap and maybe worth a try. As already mentioned I'm not sure I'd pound it with a hammer at risk of cracking the finish.
Bradley </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm sure most of you already know this but some may not. If anyone does try this remember to WEAR THICK GLOVES WHEN HANDLING DRY ICE. You do not want to handle dry ice with your bare hands.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
I'm sure most of you already know this but some may not. If anyone does try this remember to WEAR THICK GLOVES WHEN HANDLING DRY ICE. You do not want to handle dry ice with your bare hands.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bwyan, I wilsh yowl wuld hav tuld me dat befwor I pwut my twongue on da ice.
icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bwyan, I wilsh yowl wuld hav tuld me dat befwor I pwut my twongue on da ice.
icon_eek.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Larry, you kill me. That's funny stuff.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back