Gold or Platinum

Those platinum shelves are pretty tore up.

If you, or the owner has time, do like I did with mine....soak them in brake fluid and gently scrape with a single edge razor.
Then recoat them in a nice paint such as VHT Rollbar paint.
Remember, those are not cheap stamped steel but cast aluminum.

Jeff

OK, so platinum C uses a Genesis 1000 Manifold and burners? And so I am guessing the cook box is the same as a Genesis 1000 as well? Is all that correct?
Yes, the 00-01 Platinum C uses the 1000 manifold but the cookbox is different since it's a 5 bar cookbox (that was a limited run I believe), however, u can swap it for a 13 bar cookbox as I've done.

This is what I started with...

wgRQmRZ.png

9o1C2Gs.png

Then I converted it to this....

28iBRg3.jpg

Pf9fNZT.jpg

5NHEErL.jpg

Yah yah, I have to clean out my cookbox.

Note that they use the same burners...

57lkFp0.jpg

OK, this has always confused me about these early 2000's Golds and Platinums. Thanks everyone.

But are the bars and burners and manifolds the same on the Gold as they are on the platinum?
Yes, the bars and burners and manifolds are the same on the 00-01 Gold C and Platinum C, however, I don't remember if the Gold B manifold has the extra tap for the side burner...I think they do though like how the 1000 manifolds are.

57lkFp0.jpg

The bars are Weber 9913

Last edited:
The Platinum 3200 pictured is a twin of my 1996 Platinum II.
The Gold C is a rather Unique Weber only made for two years.
I had the chance to buy a couple Golds over the years and came close, but didn't pull the trigger.
The Platinum II is the much beefier of the two with its cast aluminum shelf surround vs the cheap plastic of the Gold C which fades and gets brittle over the years.
The Side Burner off the Platinum II is also more Heavy Duty than the Gold C with more Btu, it is also roomier as well.
Other than the full length basket in the front of the Gold C the Platinum II has it all over the Gold. The Platinum II is pretty much what the Summit tried to accomplish with the tried and true aluminum Cook Box of the Genesis.

My vote, keep the Platinum II.

Jeff

I agree with Jeff, but I might try putting that Gold hood on it if you are going the custom/modded route. Then I would try to lift that cool long condiment rack and see if you could retrofit that in as well. I would also be tempted to paint the Gold hood handle black. Together that would be one cool looking grill😎!

Yes, the 00-01 Platinum C uses the 1000 manifold but the cookbox is different since it's a 5 bar cookbox (that was a limited run I believe), however, u can swap it for a 13 bar cookbox as I've done.

This is what I started with...

wgRQmRZ.png

9o1C2Gs.png

Then I converted it to this....

28iBRg3.jpg

Pf9fNZT.jpg

5NHEErL.jpg

Yah yah, I have to clean out my cookbox.

Note that they use the same burners...

57lkFp0.jpg

So that Platinum had a 5 bar box but not like the later Silver/Gold/Platinum but basically a 13 bar box with only one row of bars and burners the same as the x000 grills?

PlatGold.jpg

I think there has been some confusion on the age of these two grills.
OK, so on these two grills can I just clarify the vintage. The Gold on the left is likely 2001-2002 and the Platinum on the right is likely later 90s?
Is that correct?

The cook box, tables, control panel, burners, flavorizer bars are all different and likely not swapable. Is that correct?

View attachment 6689

OK, so on these two grills can I just clarify the vintage. The Gold on the left is likely 2001-2002 and the Platinum on the right is likely later 90s?
Is that correct?
Yes.

The cook box, tables, control panel, burners, flavorizer bars are all different and likely not swapable. Is that correct?
I don't know.

I don't know either, but I am guessing the control panel and burners are the same. Not the flavorizer bars. From Sam's answer it looks like the firebox is the same size and would interchange but you would have to use the right bars to go with the box.

I still see using right side Platinum as the base. Restore those higher grade tables and drop in the left Gold hood and the condiment shelf if you can get it to fit.

Bruce, the main part of the frame that supports the firebox and control, including the vertical supports, looks the same in other photos of these two grills. If the Gold C frame is in better condition, you may be able to mount the Platinum side tables on it.

Schematic for the black Gold C:

https://www.weber.com/US/en/help/schematics/browse/3261001

Schematic for the Green Platinum II 3200:

https://www.weber.com/US/en/help/schematics/browse/891601

Looking closely at the schematics, the two grills share a frame part in common.

GrillSeqPart#Description
black Gold C2697231Frame connector for Platinum II grills. Painted.
green Platinum II 32002297231Frame connector for Platinum II grills. Painted.

I think they share the same frame.

Edit: If so, the side table/burner mounts should be the same and the even the firebox and control panel should be swap able.

You guys are great. Thanks.
Jon, you suggest using the Gold lid. I personally think the Platinum is cooler. I kind of like the more rounded top and the beefier handle on the Gold, but I just think like the Platinum and the pin striping better over all.

You guys are great. Thanks.
Jon, you suggest using the Gold lid. I personally think the Platinum is cooler. I kind of like the more rounded top and the beefier handle on the Gold, but I just think like the Platinum and the pin striping better over all.

That's what makes the world go around :giggle: ! I virtually never see either of those grills. Another one I would like to work on. But then I would want to collect it, too!

I hope you will also go with the Platinum base. Those side tables look bad, but I really like what we saw Jeff do with them. What about the condiment shelf?

View attachment 6689

Is that correct?

They should be swappable. But for the cook box I'm not sure if the bars are meaning for the 5 bar box, the length of a bar is 23 5/16" vs. 23 3/58 for the EW bar for the 1000 firebox (13 bar). The cookbox should be swappable though as I've done it for my Platinum and my brother's 3000 has the 5 bar cookbox from the 00-01 that Platinum C that I put the 13 bar cookbox on.

Back