Going to try some wings

Jeff Bray

Hey guys wondering if anybody has a good recipe for chicken wings on the wsm? This will be my second cook, so I have never done chicken or chicken wings before. Any help would be helpful.

Jeff

I did them once. I followed a recipe that I think I found on the bottle of Frank's Red Hot. Frank's makes a buffalo wing sauce. But, I just used the Frank's Original and butter version. My family seemed to like them. I need to do them again.

Here's a recipe just doing a quick search for Frank's Red Hot chicken wings. I looked on Frank's Red Hot website and all of the wing recipes recommend the wing sauce. But, I used the Frank's Original.
http://www.food.com/recipe/franks-redhot-buffalo-chicken-wings-351013

Hey guys wondering if anybody has a good recipe for chicken wings on the wsm? This will be my second cook, so I have never done chicken or chicken wings before. Any help would be helpful.

Jeff

Larry Wolfe has a good one called
Orange Marmalade Sriracha Wings in the poultry section of the site. It is realy good and you can do it on a smoker

I like to marinate in a dry rub. Coat well in and toss in a bowl and let sit. For the fire, empty foiled water pan, light one full chimney, dump it when lit, then add one more unlit chimney. Once all has lit, all vents open and cook for one hour or so and turn wings after 30 min. Cook them well done and Skin will render down and not be chewy with out drying out.

I toss them in oil, it helps crisp up the skin, and season with onion powder, garlic powder, chipotle powder, black pepper and celery salt. Let it sit for awhile in the fridge and then cook them between 375 and 425 on my kettle till the skin crisps. If Im feeling saucy I then coat them with my version of #5 sauce which has some kick to it, and let that set for 10 minutes or so on the Q or we just have them naked.

Use what ever rub you want, Jeff. I smoke mine for 2 hours (225-250) and then lower them onto the coals for a few minutes to get the crispy. After that, toss 'em in some sauce. Enjoy! I think I'm going to smoke some today

As others have said, you need pretty high temps to get crisp skin (or a crisping stage over high heat at the end). About half the time, I'll have my deep fat fryer up to temp at the end just in case the skin isn't as crisp as I like. Smoked and fried (briefly) chicken wings are pretty good, although I skip the frying step if I nail the skin on the smoker or grill. Also, I love the Orange Marmalade Sriracha recipe. I use a little more sriracha sauce (1/2 cup) and a little less brown sugar and honey (1/4 cup each) to get the heat-to-sweet ratio that I like.

I've tried them on the WSM they just don't come out real good. I've gone back to just using the large turkey deep fryer, with your favorite sauce. Just use 100% peanut oil.

Back