Going to do first Rib smoke, Loin or Spare and why?

Rod Culver

TVWBB Member
Going to smoke my first ribs this weekend, and was curious as to wether I should attempt Loin or Spare, and the pro's and con's of each. Any imput would be apreciated.

Personally I like spares. They're typically less expensive, and I have more experience cooking them than loin backs, so I think I have a better chance of good results.

Baby backs for me cause you can get a boat load of them on the WSM. With 2 good rib racks, you can stack 12-14 racks in there.
icon_wink.gif
Plus they are user friendly.
icon_smile.gif
Here's a pic of 6 full racks on the top grate. Pic doesn't show the pan of Barbies beans below them though.

Ribcook001.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rod culver:
Going to smoke my first ribs this weekend, and was curious as to wether I should attempt Loin or Spare, and the pro's and con's of each. Any imput would be apreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spare are good because they are meatier, juicier, a little less expensive, but need a little extra prep. Backs are good because they can be more tender, they require less prep, but are a little pricy. You could always cook both kinds and see which ones you like the best. there is nothing wrong with having a little extra BBQ leftover. hope this helps

I like both for different reasons.

I don't think you can go wrong either way.

If I can get one over the other on sale I might get that one

Cook both and compare. More a personal choice than anything.

Lion are a little sweeter and less juicy to me compared to spare but I will eat them both with no complaints

I like spare ribs because I like to enjoy a long day of bbq. I find that baby backs cook in about 2/3 the amount of time.

Something about spare ribs makes me feel like a lion tearing into a gazelle. Just my 2 cents.

Looks like you've got a good reason to do both.

I've just recently started trimming and cooking spare ribs. Back ribs are great, but I felt like mixing it up a bit.

Thank you for all the input. I think I may just do a rack of each. With the same rub and sauce, that way I can get a fair comparison. Again, great input guy's, thank you!
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think I may just do a rack of each. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's the best way. Just remember that the spares will take a fair bit longer.

Back