Going rate for flank steak?

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
I got an email from our local warehouse store (BJs) that indicated a special purchase of flank steak that they're selling for $6.99/lb. I know meat prices (especially beef) fluctuate quite a bit, so I wanted to find out if that's actually a good deal or not. Really, I don't buy much beef aside from brisket, chuck roasts, stew meat and ground beef, all of which (usually) fall into the "$5 or less per pound" category. I've never bought flank steak. When I've made fajita filling in the past, I've used London broil (top round?) and never found a way to actually make it tender aside from slicing super thin. If this is a decent price, I might pick some up and make some fajitas this weekend.

Chad,

Buy it! It will make fantastic fajitas. Cook until only med-rare and slice across the grain.

I like to marinate mine in 1/2 cup bourbon and 1/2 cup soy, along with a sliced Bermuda onion. Marinate 24 hours, and grill the onions over direct heat as you cook the steak.

Ray

There's one place near me that has it near that price all the time - Flap is >$10-11 so I'll use flank in place of it.

I slice it against the grain, or sometimes just run it through the food processor with a 1/4" slicing blade along with peppers (pasilla or jalapeno), onions, a carrot... then I fry it in a cast iron skillet with some Chef Meritos ($3.99 at a local Mexican market).

I was planning on making burgers for lunch but now I'm having second thoughts!

Thanks for the tips, guys. I picked up a medium-sized one (about 2.5 lb.) and stashed it in the freezer for a later date. I was thinking of trying Alton Brown's "right on the coals" technique. I've been wanting to try that for a long time, but never had the right cut of meat for it.

Great price! Good luck. I usually buy skirt steaks for fajitas. They are pricy, but fairly tender.

$8/lb around here. London Broil usually refers to top round but can also mean flank. Flank is superior to top round as a steak. I'd rather have a fattier cuts for fajitas but they'll still be good.

Yesterday afternoon I paid $5.99lb for flank steak at a local ShopnSave. It was tenderized, I have never seen a tenderized flank steak
before, but will find out what its like tonight.

Back