Go Pork Or Go Home!

Howard V

TVWBB Member
Did my first pork butt this wkend. Had to do an overnight in order to have it ready for a lunch with friends next day. Started at 10pm and was done by 11am. A couple things were difficult -- it was harder to see things at night even with my deck lights on. It was also my first overnight cook so I was a bit worried. I woke up at 8am and saw temps dropped to 150 and had to put in more lit charcoals to kick it back up to 250 again. I did the minion method with the coffee can and was surprised to see it be low in temps. I am using Kingsford Competition briquets from Costco. Should I get a different brand or switch to lump charcoals? Any advice?

Overall it turned out well -- see pics below:

Pulled the pork butt apart with the bear claws....easy as pie

2013-07-28

Plating with simple sides -- potatoes, cole slaw and pickles

2013-07-28

Was told at last minute that one guest at party couldn't eat pork....wanted to tell them to go home! But had to be polite and threw some chicken quarters in WSM....finished off with some high heat on make-shift charcoal grill to get crispy skin

2013-07-28

I have no advice on the charcoal, Howard. The meal sure looks good, though! And extra points for accommodating the non-pork eater! Which I imagine is rarer than Big Foot...

Pulled pork looks good.
Charcoal will do what it wants sometimes...:) sorry dont have any advice.

Great looking pp and chicken Howard! Did you have any charcoal left when you added the hot ones?
If not, I would say use more to start, if you did, then it could have been not enough lit to start out. I
normally just fill my ring to the top and use a full coffee can of lit and it will last a good 10 - 12 hours.
Just my 2 cents worth. A lot also depends on how your vents were set. Too many variables to say exact,
but this is what works for me.

Pulled pork looks good.
Charcoal will do what it wants sometimes...:) sorry dont have any advice.

i have to agree with tony. I've used my WSM many times and i always fill the charcoal ring the way you described (coffe can minion) and sometimes it lasts unbelievably and others it seems to burn right thru the whole load and I have to add charcoal. Lump charcoal is even more variable IMO.

Thanks guys!

I had a a few (4-5) charcoal left when I checked in morning. I filled it up all the way to the top rim when I started. Should I get a bigger rim or go "no-rim" to get a wider radius? What is the purpose of the rim -- any safety issue if go without one? I am new to charcoal so I am not sure.

Back