Go Giants Casper Hot Dogs

Love these youngsters!! Sabol made a huge blunder on the bases today, but still they are playing great!

I wanted to ask this as well.....the MRS wrinkled her nose at that picture but neither of us have seen hot dogs cooked like that.
Kind of looks good, like the wieners would get bigger and juicier.....????? I just told her it was butter but I honestly think its probably not all butter.

It was a "wild hair" cook, an excuse to buy Casper's hotdogs while at Costco Saturday. The sauce:

Red Onion Chopped
Yellow Mustard
Green Relish
Cajun Spice
Beer

IMHO, the beer was probably a mistake. If I were to do it again (likely this coming weekend, since it's a long weekend) I would skip the beer
I added two additional photos to the slide show, not sure why the above isn't displaying them, will re-add it below to see if it will pick up the last two images added

It was a "wild hair" cook, an excuse to buy Casper's hotdogs while at Costco Saturday. The sauce:

Red Onion Chopped
Yellow Mustard
Green Relish
Cajun Spice
Beer

IMHO, the beer was probably a mistake. If I were to do it again (likely this coming weekend, since it's a long weekend) I would skip the beer
I added two additional photos to the slide show, not sure why the above isn't displaying them, will re-add it below to see if it will pick up the last two images added

What would you replace the beer with??
And why was the beer a mistake?
I ask in mild urgency...it is the a.m. and I have some " white " dogs and really fresh buns goin on when I get home today.
I actually found a brand that the hot dogs look like the dogs you guys show in the USA....I call them white because they look white in your picture.
Canadian hot dogs must be made to look the way we like them.....by we I mean not myself, but what everyone got used to or eats.....
picture reference......these are crap....I hope the independent offering is great......the butcher says to me.....hey these are great real casings !!!!!!!
kind of gives you that snap when you bite into them!!!!! lol....I'm pretty excited for hot dogs in case you have missed it....
will take pics for reference.....our dogs in pic below...yukky.

1687968022001.png

What would you replace the beer with??
And why was the beer a mistake?
I missed one item, I also had chopped garlic (from a jar, not fresh)
The hotdogs (unlike sausages) didn't absorb any of the beer, so IMHO, the beer did nothing for the cook, and may have hurt the flavor of:

Red Onion Chopped
Yellow Mustard
Green Relish
Chopped Garlic (jarred, but fresh would probably be better)
Cajun Spice

I had a few hot dogs left, and I grilled them at 250 directly on the grill by themselves just until they started to split. Those were good, so if you do this cook, set a couple aside for good old fashion BBQ hotdogs.

I missed one item, I also had chopped garlic (from a jar, not fresh)
The hotdogs (unlike sausages) didn't absorb any of the beer, so IMHO, the beer did nothing for the cook, and may have hurt the flavor of:

Red Onion Chopped
Yellow Mustard
Green Relish
Chopped Garlic (jarred, but fresh would probably be better)
Cajun Spice

I had a few hot dogs left, and I grilled them at 250 directly on the grill by themselves just until they started to split. Those were good, so if you do this cook, set a couple aside for good old fashion BBQ hotdogs.
In my initial post I mentioned the MRS with a wrinkled nose.....this makes me think I probably won't do a cook like this although I want to.
Everyone gets " used to " the way it has always tasted is a normal thought process I think......but this board allows us to try each others ideas and try new things, it's great.
Maybe just get them hot, in water but not boiled and then give them some good fire treatment.........
I have some homemade kraut and pickles along with the other mandatory compliments like mustard and maybe make a hot pepper relish....

Thanks for the quick reply Chuck.....that sauce looked buttery or something but its the mustard n beer.

We have been abstaining for a bunch of days....so today its 0% chance of rain, 25 degrees out ( 82 ish F ) and I have the freshest buns you can buy, literally baked a few hours ago by our Dutch friends at the bakery.......and of course those new dogs.
I have already messaged the MRS...I am requiring a bucket of some sort, a bag of ice and my cold beers in the fridge...
The minimal amount of after work time I have is going to be spent on the deck with the fire in the performer going, drinking dripping wet cold ones and listening to some good ole classic tunes......
Hopefully I remember pics of the dogs in raw state at least.

So I shared my desire of afternoon activities with the MRS and she is so sweet, went out after work and picked me up this little guy for ice cold beers on the deck........happy bbq chef makes good meals maybe.......I will be sure to share my happy afternoon if I can ever get out of here....
Told the boss I had to leave early today, lol.

1687984636104.png

So I shared my desire of afternoon activities with the MRS and she is so sweet, went out after work and picked me up this little guy for ice cold beers on the deck........happy bbq chef makes good meals maybe.......I will be sure to share my happy afternoon if I can ever get out of here.... Told the boss I had to leave early today, lol.
You're set Darryl. The Casper's hotdogs come in packages of two. I'm going to do this cook again this 4-day weekend (taking the 3rd off) this time no beer. It wasn't bad with beer, but I think it'll be better without beer. Besides, the beer needs to go in the bucket that the Bride bought ya

All set to go, 5:30 and I get maybe 3 good hours of warm and sun……

Attachments

• IMG_0385.jpeg
    IMG_0385.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0386.jpeg
    IMG_0386.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0387.jpeg
    IMG_0387.jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0388.jpeg
    IMG_0388.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 13
Well dinner was hot dogs, was a nice change.
Got them warm in water first, they cooked fast on the fire.
We enjoyed them!

Attachments

• IMG_0389.jpeg
    IMG_0389.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0390.jpeg
    IMG_0390.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0391.jpeg
    IMG_0391.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0392.jpeg
    IMG_0392.jpeg
    163.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0393.jpeg
    IMG_0393.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 11
I don't do fancy dogs. Right on the grill, a bit of char and I'm happy.

Beer sounds really good. I might need to pick up some for the long weekend

edit: not saying fancy dogs don't look good, they look great but it's not something I step up and do.

Last edited:
Fancy is a hard thing to do......I posted chili cheese dogs one time, they tasted fancy.......
Macaroni and hot dog spiders are fancy for children....

The MRS was also very responsible.....that ice bucket didn't seem like a YETI from the pics but I couldn't tell and it wasn't thank god.......
Those in YETI form are about $200 here, that one in the pic above was a cheap hardware store one she found on sale and tossed the YETI sticker on it for the jokes......she got me until I seen it in person.

Last edited:
Now that's what I'm talking about Darryl. That's a feel good cook and now I'm hungry
Just keeping you warm for dogs until the weekend!
Tonight I am making homie burgers but shaping them into hot dog ish shaped burgers just so I can get more of those insanely good buns in me as they will expire after today....sounds funny, might take pics.

I miss the Gigantes.
I dig Casper dogs too.
They don’t sell them up here where I’m at so I freeze up a few packages and use them as ice blocks in the cooler when I drive up.
I gotta have a Casper dog when I eat a dog.
They go good on the grill.

For brats I use a skillet with onions and some dark beer.
When the beer is gone I add a bit of oil then sear the brats.

I didn't have any caspers, so these will have to do. The little dogs make my E330 look HUGE

20230628_191313.jpg

I picked up these brioche buns at Costco. I didn't notice that they are top sliced which is not ideal for dogs, I had to slice them open a little more.

They are tasty however.

20230628_191058.jpg
20230628_191133.jpg

I said simple.

20230629_132229.jpg

And I like Ketchup on my dogs.

20230628_191929.jpg

Only thing missing was a Beer.

Back