Gloves for smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ

TVWBB Fan
Looking for some good smoker gloves to ask for for xmas. I like the ones that came with my Ronco Rotisserie because they're virtually unmeltable and they're rubbery on the outside so they can be washed, but the inside of them gets wet and never seems to dry out and ends up getting nasty. So, i'm looking for some good gloves that I can flip meat with, wash easily, and use on the hot surfaces of my WSM. Any suggestions?

Russ
I have two pair. One pair is all suede and come up almost to my elbow. They are technically fireplace gloves but many people use them for grilling, etc. I think they cost about $20, but I really can't remember. They are more than enough for my BBQ and grilling needs.

The other pair is the basic $3.99 leather-palm and-fingers model from Home Depot. I have been using these for 20 years. As each pair wears out, I just but a new pair, about every other year or so. They are durable and can be washed, but I seldom do.

I like the HD gloves better because they are lighter weight and serve more purposes, like gardening. They are not completely heat-proof however. I have learned their limitations through trial and error. Still, about $4-$5 for gloves seems to be my limit.

Peter

Amazon has 13" and 19" Eastman leather gloves. 13" is $14.95, 19" $17.95. I bought the 19" and like them a lot. My wife washes them in the washer, but it takes a couple days for them to air dry.

Smokin' Jim in NC

I use leather gloves from HD. Great for grabbing hot grills, middle sections and keeps hands clean and burn free. When they start looking like they will crawl away on their own I just get a new pair. I use a pair of turkey lifters to lift butts, brisket and chuck rolls.

My wife got me a pair of silicon oven mitts from Sam's. You can throw them in the dishwasher. I have had to seperate WSM a few times during a cook. These mitts grip good and protect from heat. Also use them with my gas deep fryer/cooker. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I just bought 4 pairs of up to the elbow welding gloves at BigLots for 5 bucks a pair. They are not the best gloves I'm sure, but the price was definitely right. Good stocking stuffers for friends and family.
Don

How are you washing those Ronco gloves? I use Neoprene gloves that cost about 5 bucks a pair at Smart and Final. When I need to wash them I put them on and "wash my hands" with them. The inside stays dry and the gloves get clean.

Bill

I use some old welding gloves that I've had around the house for years. They are heavy and well insulated for working with grills, charcoal, etc.

But don't forget a good pair of diswashing gloves for turning and moving meat mid cook, pulling pork, carving brisket, quartering chicken, etc etc. You sure don't want to use those dirty dusty grill gloves with the meat itself. And be absolutly sure to wash them between every cook

I sometimes use disposable latex gloves (the same ones I use for applying wood finishes) during the meat prep. They have better grip when I'm trying to manipulate a pork but one handed to apply rub to the sides and ends.

Hi Russ, I looked for over a year and could not find neoprene gloves anywhere. I finally bought them on the net from here . I think the ones I bought were about $30.00 with s/h. More than I wanted to spend, but these gloves come in very handy, and I would pay that much again for another pair if/when the time comes. Steve. oh yeah, I have no affilliation at all with this company.

Russ
I use welding gloves for handling hot grates and the such. For handling meat a pair of the cheap white cotton glove ($1 a pair) with regular rubber gloves (foodservice gloves)over them allows turn or pull hot meat and you get a better feel than you get with heavier gloves.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back