Glaze or finishing sauce recipe?

Ryan Ko

TVWBB Super Fan
What is everyone using to make the meat in their turn in boxes so shiny? Some sort of glaze or finishing sauce?

Ryan, Danny Gaulden's rib glaze is a simple one that's pretty sweet, so if you don't like ribs too sweet, go easy or ommit sugar in the rub and don't add to the foil. Don't worry about the mustard being too strong. It's a good one because you don't have to apply to the ribs until pulling off the cooker, which is especially nice if you're using rib racks as I often do so I can fit more meat on.

http://www.dannysbbq.com/recipes.asp?rid=9

If you want more "saucy flavor" AND the shiny glaze, BLUES HOG is a good bottled sauce to glaze with....again, pretty sweet stuff, though. Lots of folks thin it out some, often mixed with BH TN RED or something else, but not too much or I'd think you might lose the shine. Honestly though, I've only tried it straight out of the bottle for ribs, so I wouldn't know for sure. Both BH and Danny's glaze will make for a pretty rack of ribs, IMHO.

Dave, thanks for the link. Have trouble getting BH here so I'll try Danny's and maybe tweak it a little.
icon_rolleyes.gif
My wife hates when I say that
icon_biggrin.gif

I use a pretty sweet sauce. Put it on the ribs, get them back in the cooker and let it set. When they're ready to came off, I glaze them. I don't know the reciepe off the top of my head, but I think I might have found it here.

1/2 c jelly/jam of your choice
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp???? can't remember - apple cider vinegar

Gives it a nice shine. Pictures in the Photo Gallery thread if your interested. Under "First Smoke in the new 22" posted on Saturday.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joanne Macek:
I use a pretty sweet sauce. Put it on the ribs, get them back in the cooker and let it set. When they're ready to came off, I glaze them. I don't know the reciepe off the top of my head, but I think I might have found it here.

1/2 c jelly/jam of your choice
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp???? can't remember - apple cider vinegar

Gives it a nice shine. Pictures in the Photo Gallery thread if your interested. Under "First Smoke in the new 22" posted on Saturday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am curious to find out what the last ingrediant is. Does this glaze change the taste at all?

The last ingredient is apple cider vinegar. The question marks are for the amount. I'll check my recipe when I get home tonight.

The choice of jelly can affect the taste a small bit. I put it on sparingly after they come off. I really just want the shine and the sweet. It makes them look pretty and I always go for sweet initial impression followed by the heat of the rub....but what do I know??
icon_smile.gif

Oh, the final ingredient is 1/8 cup agave nectar! I forgot about that. Total of 4 ingredients.

I went back and found the thread that I started with! K Kruger was the guy with the glaze advice! I was looking for a bit more "clean" sweet and added the agave nectar for that purpose. I THINK I decreased the amount of apple cider vinegar, but I don't remember. I'll check tonight.

Glaze Thread

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan N.:
You can order Blues Hog (and lots of other stuff) from Hawgeyes.

http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/

Dan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dan, extremely grateful for the link. You've made me a happy guy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joanne Macek:
Ok found it.
1/2 c jelly
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/8 c agave nectar </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Joanne.

Any jelly suggestions in this glaze to work well over specific sauces or types of sauces applied while still cooking? Also, does this work without any saucing beforehand like Danny G's glaze does?

I like the flavor that a tomato based sauce adds. I don't think the glaze alone would add much beyond sweetness. I've done raspberry (most pronounced flavor), apple (least pronounced flavor), and peach.

Half the fun is trying all the different flavors!

Thanks, Joanne! That helps me a lot in deciding what to do on my Memorial Day cook of ribs and chicken.

I think that is exactly what my wife was trying to say when I did Danny's glaze with no sauce first...nothing to balance with the sweetness. I thought it was fine, but I think I'll stick to setting a sauce on first, and thanks for the jelly suggestions as well.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan N.:
You can order Blues Hog (and lots of other stuff) from Hawgeyes.

http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/

Dan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I was at Hawgeyes aka TNT Lanscaping this morning and bought some blueshog,Obie Q's rub and plowboys rub, the owner answered all my bbq questions and shared a bit of his techniques to me, good source in my area for bbq.
Dan, extremely grateful for the link. You've made me a happy guy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey paul h, I can't believe you hadn't heard of Hawgeyes till now. They are the best! If you're wanting the stuff the competitors use check out hawgeyes. Mike has it all. He's even got the newest version of Blues Hog. It's sorta like a smoky version of the original. Really good stuff! It's going fast though, he sold fifteen of his thirty cases within the first week.

By chance, you coming to Alton to judge next month?

Back