Glass tube thermometer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I haven't yet splurged on the laser thermometer that can sense temperature within +/- 1/4 degree from 100 feet away, so for now, I have this Ekco candy thermometer that looks like a glass tube with an alcohol thermometer down the middle. It has a 75 - 400 degree F range.

Does anyone know whether these are safe for smoking? It says "Do not use in oven", but it doesn't say anything about the Weber Smokey Mountain model 2820 cooker/smoker.

I can't seem to find the ones that are round with a metal stem. The only ones I've seen shaped like that are meat thermometers that only go up to about 250. I already have this one, and it fits neatly into the top vent, so I hope I can use it.

Thanks,

--Mick

I don't see anything wrong with using that particular thermometer.
I do not like that type for the simple reason, that I sometimes need to gently close the top air damper, to regulate my temperature.
But it should get you by, if that is all you can find right now.

Jim

Mickey,

Welcome to the world of the WSM!

I suppose your glass candy thermometer would work in a pinch since won’t be exposed to temps beyond its limits.

But I don’t think it’s a long-term solution for two reasons. First, if it’s struck while in the vent, it could break and the shards could ruin the meat. Peritonitis isn’t an attractive option.

Second, if your candy thermometer is like the ones I grew up with, its outside diameter is just slightly smaller than the vent hole you’re sticking it through. Since there are only four holes available in the top vent, blocking one for several hours could cause incomplete combustion and/or soot buildup with the result being nasty tasting food covered in creosote.

I’m sure lots of folks will be along soon to recommend a Polder digital thermometer. You can find them at most discount stores under a number of brand names. At around $15, they’re really not a luxury for the beginning cook.

Like Dennis Miller says, “That’s just my opinion. I could be wrong.”

Have fun with your new WSM!

Ken

Look on the Grainger web-site, they sell a great Ashford Thermometer that you can mount in the lid,
after that Target sells a Taylor polder type probe thermometer for 16.95. Get two, one for the bottom rack and one for the top. With this setup you can keep track of temp at the top of the lid and also keep track of your internals on the two levels.

Keep you coals hot, your water pan full and don't run out of beer!

I think I can convince my wife that we need one new probe thermometer. It's going to be tough to sell her on multiples, especially when we've already bought a WSM, chimney starter, watering can, gloves, tongs, brush, spatula, charcoal, hickory chunks, and a rib rack. And we still haven't produced a single best rib in the universe.

So, I can do the probe through the potato thing on one rack. I notice from the site that you can run it under the lid. Has anyone tried going through the access door and up? Is the cord long enough? It seems like that would be more out of the way.

Mickey
Yes, run the probe through the potato, and put it on the top rack. Make sure the probe end is protruding about 2" or so, from the potato.

I run my wire right under the lid. It really does not interfere with anything, just make sure the wire is not kinked. That can sometimes lead to problems.

I hope this helps, if not let us know.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back