Gigantic Beef "Short" Ribs....

Henry Joe Peterson

TVWBB Super Fan
Anyone seen these things?

They have them at the Asian Markets around here in SF. I think they're what they saw crosswise to make Korean style shortrib strips.

Anyway, these things are massive. Like the things that weighed down the side of Fred Flintstone's car.

I cooked something similar on the WSM about a year ago -- although they weren't quite as long. Only abou 5-6 inches in length.

These things are a good 10-12 inches and have a lot of meat.

Seeing how the grocery stores trim beef back ribs of every scrap of meat possible, I'm gonna give these a try.

The butcher says they only come in "racks" of 3-4 ribs. Normally, they cut them apart and sell them separately.

Anyone smoked these?

Mordechai Striks was doing them a while back, often. Do a search on 'Monster ribs' and you should see his posts.

I just did Beef Ribs last week. Not sure if this the same thing you are refering to but...

I bought them at Super Wally World...full 7 ribs per rack. Paid $9.75 for two racks. They came out excellent!! I smoked them for 6 hours with a lid temp average of 250. I believe I now have a new favorite rib...

Highly recommended!!!

Here is a photo.
Beef Ribs

I did some of those about 2-3 weeks ago. I wasn't paying attention at the store and accidently bought beef spare ribs instead of pork. (not sure how I didn't notice). I thought that they came out a little of the greasy side. Perhaps they needed to cook a little longer. They were really tender and flavorful though.

Back