Getting the most out of ribs

Keith House

I will be in a company BBQ competition and I chose to cook ribs for the competition. I need to figure out how I can get enough ribs for many people to eat. I have thought about a couple of options, but was hoping I could get some feedback from others? I chose ribs because I feel that is my speciality from a flavor standpoint, and everyone else is pulling pork.

I usually buy the ribs from the local warehouse store and they are really meaty, so this option might work. I could get 9 racks for about $100, which is around my budget.

First thing I thought about is to get the ribs so soft and fall off the bone that I could basically debone the ribs after they are done cooking so many people can get a sample. How many do you think I could feed by this method?

The other option is to see if I could get the butcher to maybe cut the ribs laterally down the length of the racks so I could turn 9 racks into 18 mini-racks of ribs. Anyone ever try this before? I could basically get about 100 mini-ribs this way I think.

Any thoughts, tips, hints, or suggestions are welcome.

Thought I'd let everyone know that I just ended up going with 12 racks on the 22 WSM. I was able to feed about 4 fifths of the crowd and am proud to say that I am the new BBQ champ of my company.

Back