Getting the dust off!

Tom S.

TVWBB Fan
Living in western Michigan (and with 25" of snow YTD) tomorrow is supposed to have a high of 44. Got three racks of BB and a 6.5lbs picnic just iching to get out on that smoker. Supposed to have some wind to go with, but with my wind block set up, should have a nice day to make the neighbors smell some smoke!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Sounds like a good time Tom. Hopefully it's an east wind and blow that smoke over here to Iowa!! Post up some **** when it's done!

Good luck with that. Here in Chicago, we are going to be over 50 today. I put 4 butts on last night and it is almost 50 degrees as we speak. After the last two weeks, we are excited for this break in the weather.

Bob

Good luck Tom! Here near Philly we are hitting the 50's today after temps in the teens late last week.

I'd like to know how you make out. I think I will be diving into the freezer this weekend after all the left overs from previous cooks. Then next weekend back at it.

Ray

WSM
Weber Performer
CG Pro SFB

Very foggy this morning but 41 when I lit the fire. Placed the picnic shoulder on the bottom rack and started the ribs about an hour later. End result...ribs turned out fantastic, but the butt never did get over an internal temp of 170. Pulled kinda tuff, and wasn't very good quality, but did get enough for some leftovers. Ate one rack, and vaccumn packed the other two for a "cold and snowy" day.

Tom - what was the WSM temp when you pulled the shoulder? Would you have been able to leave it on until it hit 200 deg?

Too windy/cold to keep temps in the WSM around 225-250? What was the total cook time to when you pulled the shoulder? Or were you tired of cooking and just getting hungry :)

Good to hear the ribs turned out ok. I think the butt shredded and came out the way it did because 170 is a bit too early. Might have been better if you foiled it and loaded it in a 300 deg oven until it hit 200, let it sit foiled outside the oven until it dropped to 140 or so.

Probably needed more time for the collagen to break down, etc. and do it's magic.

Ray

Back