getting Pork butts off the cooker

Bryan's Right I was talking the cooking temp high 300-350 vs 225-250.

I'm going to try a low and slow and pay close attention to the finished product..

I have been cooking high heat, and of course like the shorter cooking times. Although as I get to know the WSM better, the low and slow doesn't take near the amount of attention to the cooker, as my ECB did. Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Furdyn:
Bryan's Right I was talking the cooking temp high 300-350 vs 225-250.

I'm going to try a low and slow and pay close attention to the finished product..

I have been cooking high heat, and of course like the shorter cooking times. Although as I get to know the WSM better, the low and slow doesn't take near the amount of attention to the cooker, as my ECB did. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gotcha. I only go low and slow on my butts. High heat just seems....wrong somehow.
icon_smile.gif

Chris

I used my ECB for 3 or 4 years, with some sucess.

Thanks to Bill Hayes and this weber board, I got a great deal on a used WSM.

Then the more and more I read postings on this board about high heat. I was wundering I now have the WSM, which is great on low and slow, and all I read about are high heat this and that.

I've cooked about 20 or more times since getting
the WSM and I love it both for low and high heat cooks but IMO it really shines compared to the ECB on the low and slow. Thanks

How many of you let the butt get to room temp before going on the smoker? Or is it straight from the fridge to the WSM?

I don't really have an issue with my bark sticking to the grate, but I've strictly used Byron's Butt Rub so far. Wonder if the ingredients in the rub contribute to grate sticking or not?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitch Josey:
How many of you let the butt get to room temp before going on the smoker? Or is it straight from the fridge to the WSM? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm a straight out of the fridge, put rub on, then onto the WSM it goes guy.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitch Josey:
How many of you let the butt get to room temp before going on the smoker? Or is it straight from the fridge to the WSM?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I always rub the night before, then take the butt out of the refrigerator while I'm setting up the WSM the next morning, but it's nowhere near room temperature. The internal temperature of the meat is generally in the low 30's when I put it on to cook.

Overnight rub then straight from the fridge to the smoker.

I've used Pam grill spray or oiled the racks just before I put the meat on. Grates are out as the WSM coals are getting ready. Spray or oil the grates and put the meat on then assemble the smoker. Won't entirely stop sticking but much easier cleanup.

I guess I've always assumed the sticking issue has to do with sugars in the rub and carmelization of meat juices as it cooks.

The next time I do a roast on the wsm I'm going to use a folded up banana leaf, just big enough to support the roast, and see how that goes. For now I'm just using an oven mitt and whatever kitchen implement I can find to guide the roast from the grate to the plate.

I simply toss a chunk of foil over them (use the cheaper, thinner stuff for this) while they are still on the grate, then pat the foil down gently around the top & sides.

Then I can grab them with just about any old pair of gloves that I have handy (cheap cotton work gloves) and set them down on a larger piece of foil that I have laid-out, in preparation for the standard "foil" procedure

The foil keeps the hot juices and sticky-stuff from soaking into the gloves. (hey, I'm going to foil them anyway.....)

Easy, cheap, & quick

Back