getting Pork butts off the cooker

Dave Bethke

TVWBB Fan
Question for ya,

I normally cook in pans, but I want to cook 4 butts and the last time I made 4 at one time in pans grease was running over the sides and missing the drip pan. It made a mess.
This time I want to try without pans, how do you get the butts off of the grate without them falling apart?

Have a GREAT Thanksgiving people,

Dave

Loosen them with a metal spatula 1st. Then keep the spatula under the butt and lift up while stabilizing/lifting with metal tongs.

Paul

I got into the habit here of late at about the 4 hr mark to take the lid off and lift them up and rotate them about an inch or two sideways. I try to repeat at about 8 hrs. What happens is the weight of them and the long cook time, they really sink down into the gaps in the grate and cook fast to them. Moving them just a little bit helps when it's removal time. I just use insulated rubber gloves and lift them right off on to a cutting board that has a big sheet of Reynold's Wide Heavy Duty foil on it.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
Loosen them with a metal spatula 1st. Then keep the spatula under the butt and lift up while stabilizing/lifting with metal tongs.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's what I've been doing the last couple years except I use a gloved hand to stabiize. I used to slide my gloves under but lost too much bark. Using the spatula keeps most of it.

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Bryan

Just curious do you still cook butts low and slow ? Do you cook high heat as well ? If so what determines low or high heat ?

I thought most everyone on here is cooking high heat. At least that's my impression.

Just like your input, which I value.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving !!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Furdyn:
Bryan
Just curious do you still cook butts low and slow ? Do you cook high heat as well ? If so what determines low or high heat ?
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving !!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
John, thanks for the kind words. Yes I still do cook butts low and slow. Butts at high heat to me, don't render down like I like them to. This is JMO as other won't agree. I tried high heat butts once, and just wasn't all that thrilled with the out come of them. Now briskets, it's def high heat 95% of the time. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family as well. Hope your turkey comes out great for you.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here except spatula and rubber glove

i just reread and see you like to cook butts in pans? the one time i tried to cook a butt in a foil pan the entire cook i didn't like it. to me the meat turned out to mushy and greasy. i think you will like them directly on the grate better.

I use an oversize spatula that I bought from one of the kitchen outlet stores. It's about 6 inches wide.

You can decrease the amount of 'meat' that sticks to the grill by cooking the butts fat side down. This way you can reach in and just lift them up and the only thing you really loose is the fat cap that sticks to the grates.

i have a few pairs of insulated polyurethane safety gloves. very resistant to high heat. paid about 25 bucks - well worth it

I use the big spatula as well. Smoking on the second grate is a whole other issue. I have not found a real good way to get them off except to reach and grab.

I am thinking of a way to utilize a stainless mesh, disposable grill sheet or butt sized grate that one could just reach in and pick up by a handle of sort without even touching the cooking grate.

I use the gloves from Texasbbq; they work great

i tried a high-heat butt two weeks ago and, while convenient, it wasn't as good imo as the over-nighter.

Tip the WSM upside down and shake them out...

Well, maybe not. I too use two spatulas, come at them from each end and just ease them under the butts. Lift and separate...like any good brazierre.

I like that suggestion the best so far, I will try that.
Tip the WSM over and shake them out of there.

Thanks for all the tips.
j.pavone seeing as you have a few pairs of those gloves how about sending me a pair.
Christmas is coming soon after all.

Thanks peeps and have a GREAT Thanksgiving,

Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Furdyn:
Bryan

I thought most everyone on here is cooking high heat. At least that's my impression.

Just like your input, which I value.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving !!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

High heat butts? Are you talking about foiling? Personally I don't foil butts, when they are done they are done. If I don't think I'll have time I'll cook something else.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Mills:
High heat butts? Are you talking about foiling? Personally I don't foil butts, when they are done they are done. If I don't think I'll have time I'll cook something else. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, John was asking about High Heat. i.e. 300º-350º for the cooking temp verses low and slow 225º-250º.
icon_wink.gif

Back