getting grill really hot

ryanburns

TVWBB Member
So I use a full chimney of lump but can't really get it past 450 for doing pizzas. Any tips for boosting the temps up?

Leave the lid off with all vents open till you are ready to cook. Lit charcoal loves oxygen. You may want to use lump instead of charcoal, it burns hotter but not as long as charcoal.

Have ya checked the thermo lately? Reason is I can peg 550 ( top-end ) on mine with a chimney of lump. Add some un-lit first, than top with the lit. Don't wait till the chimney is completely flaming, just until you start to see flames lick-in at the top.

Tim

I got mine to probably around 800-850 with one full lit chimney + 1/2 chimney unlit lump + 2 fist-sized chunks of wood

IMG-20120512-WA0002.jpg

The fire was so hot the plastic of the slide-aside lid holder on my performer melted
icon_frown.gif

try throwing a few chunks of hardwood on, I find they spike temps.

also, a cheap heat gun works great for stoking the fire

What they said.

I primarily use KBB and do pizzas at 500°+ with 1 chimney spread over 1/2 chimney of unlit. Leave the lid off to get everything going good. Once the pizza is on, I leave it slightly cracked to give it more exhaust to keep at 500°+

if you really really really want a SLAMMING hot fire...

light a full chimney of lump and spread it evenly.
add another 2/3 chimney unlit lump on top of the lit. leave the lid off and wait 15 minutes.
add another 2/3 chimney unlit lump on top. leave the lid off for another 10 minutes.
add another 1/2 chimney of unlit lump. put the grates on. wait 5 minutes. put the lid on. wait 5 minutes. cook.

This will put you around 800 or 900 depending on the lump. if you want hotter, stoke that last layer with an air pump or hair dryer for 3 or 4 minutes.

This can, and WILL melt your charcoal grate AND your cooking grate.

I've read comments before about hot fires melting the plastic on the Performer's lid holder and warping the charcoal grate. I don't think kettles were meant for temps above 650-700.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TroyRedington:
if you really really really want a SLAMMING hot fire... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The method you describe sounds like how a blacksmith would stoke his forge. Insanely hot!

Thanks for sharing it.

Regards,
Chris

Sure but then again why do you need a fire that hot? For pizzas sure,but i bake mine in the 500 range and it works great.(the mass heat is whats important,stone and so on)

Searing a steak? A chimney will do just fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolgast:
Sure but then again why do you need a fire that hot? For pizzas sure,but i bake mine in the 500 range and it works great.(the mass heat is whats important,stone and so on)

Searing a steak? A chimney will do just fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

searing over a chimney is MUCH easier, unless you're trying to sear 12 tuna steaks for a dinner party
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ryanburns:
So I use a full chimney of lump but can't really get it past 450 for doing pizzas. Any tips for boosting the temps up? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No kidding? I get 500 or more easily with a full chimney of lump. Might be time to test drive a different brand. What are you using?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ryanburns:
So I use a full chimney of lump but can't really get it past 450 for doing pizzas. Any tips for boosting the temps up? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No kidding? I get 500 or more easily with a full chimney of lump. Might be time to test drive a different brand. What are you using? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed; using Royal Oak I can fill both charcoal baskets on my Performer, light with the propane starter, let them get fully lit, close the lid, and easily peg the thermometer at 550+. Keeping the lid vent directly over the fire also does wonders.

For pizzas I take 2 rotisserie spits and lay them across the the bowl so that when you put the lid on you have a 1/4" gap. Close the top vent on the lid and you will get a great convection to cook the top of the pizza. I also start with 2 lit chimneys of lump. I easily get in the 650-750 range with this method.

I have used Kingsford to melt aluminum. The more air the hotter it will get. A shop vac will get it up, however you will melt the thin sheet metal on the Weber grill.

thin sheet metal?

sarcasm?

other than popping the porcelain finish off where the straps are welded on the inside, i've never done any damage to a bowl. I've melted plenty of grates and lid bail rollers though.

Ryan,

The easiest method I've found for higher than normal temps is to preserve my used coals from a previous grilling by cutting off the oxygen as soon as the food comes off. After I've done this a second cook I have lots of "half burnt" coals in the grill.

The next time I need a high heat for any reason I put about half a chimney of fresh topped off by some of the unburnt coals. I light that chimney, and spread the remaining unburnt coals around the grill, dump the hot chimney on top, give it a few minutes to catch everything on fire, and then watch the temp soar. I don't know why, but every time I used unburnt coals the temp is much, much hotter.

It sounds like a lot of work, but in reality is is absolutely none and achieves the results I want every time, for pizza, steak, anything. Good luck.

For those with melted slide aside rollers, call Weber. I melted mine and they sent replacements. I believe Don Cash and a few others had the same experience.

they sent me a whole new bail system.
I still haven't put it on though. Aside from the melted plastic that dripped down the side of the bowl, i don't mind the rollers being melted.

Back