Getting bunch of Ash on Food

TJStanley

Hi there,

last couple of cooks I’ve noticed a bunch of ash getting on my food.

I notice when I go to wrap my ribs and after they’re wrapped for an hour in the cooker there is ash deposited on the foil. Also notice this on the top layer of other items I have in the smoker.

things I sometimes do during the cook:

1. Open the fuel door to add an onion or another chunk of smoking wood to keep good smell going or move the charcoals around. I open the door around 4-5 times per cook.
2. opening the lid to spritz
3. Closing down bottom vents

Last few cooks were done using 100% RO Briquettes in my WSM 18.

just wondering what can be done to prevent this happening, or if I should switch to a good lump like Cowboy.

Last edited:
Couple of things.

Anytime you lift the lid or open the access door, make sure to do so slowly. When you lift or open fast, you create a vacuum that stirs the ashes.

Stirring the charcoal during a cook is also a sure way to get ashes on your food. I have tried tapping the legs with a pair of tongs to dislodge ash without stirring it up too much. However, the best way is to do the hot squat, removing the lid and middle section--grates, meat, water pan and all--in a single power move, set it aside, then move the charcoal around and stir ashes to your heart's content, then replace the assembly on the charcoal bowl. This is a pro-level move that is not sanctioned by Weber and is done at your own risk.

The hot squat is also one of several methods used to add charcoal during a long cook.

Couple of things.

Anytime you lift the lid or open the access door, make sure to do so slowly. When you lift or open fast, you create a vacuum that stirs the ashes.

Stirring the charcoal during a cook is also a sure way to get ashes on your food. I have tried tapping the legs with a pair of tongs to dislodge ash without stirring it up too much. However, the best way is to do the hot squat, removing the lid and middle section--grates, meat, water pan and all--in a single power move, set it aside, then move the charcoal around and stir ashes to your heart's content, then replace the assembly on the charcoal bowl. This is a pro-level move that is not sanctioned by Weber and is done at your own risk.

The hot squat is also one of several methods used to add charcoal during a long cook.

Thanks for the tips here Chris. When you say slowly lift the lid should I be opening it straight up, or tilting it open slowly ? Also would you recommend to close down the top vent right before opening as well to account for vacuum?

It’s easy to really want to rip the lid right off and the vacuum created will lift ash to the sky so, use Chris’s method and you should have no problem.
If you’ve read many of my posts on “procedure” you will note that I don’t spritz or wrap until products come off. But, that’s merely my method, you will find your path “grasshopper” and joy will be yours for years to come!

Back