German Genesis LX S-340 being used in US runs cooler

Mark Kulik

Hello there, I am new to the forum and thought someone could help with my isssue. I moved back to the US and brought my German Weber II LX S-340 (2017) (61004179) with me. I noticed that grill doesn’t get as hot as it used to. Most likely the US LP consistency and/or pressure is different than the German LP. I thought that maybe I should change out the burners and gas manifold to the US version (61004001) as I noticed the schematic part numbers are different. Does anyone think this is the problem or have another suggestion?

Thanks for your help

Yes odds are things are different here than in Germany. I am assuming of course you did install a proper regulator and hose to the grill you have. Though I have to wonder how you adapted metric to US standard fittings.

Thanks for your reply. I had a gas guy remove and re-attach the old metric fitting to a new US hose and regulator. It wasn’t a Weber regulator though. The regulator that he used was a Marshall Excelsior MEGR 230-90. Should I first change the Marshall regulator for a Weber regulator? Again, thanks for your insight.

IDK if that is necessary. If it's an 11"WC unit it should be fine. I don't think a Weber one has anything over anything else as long as it is verified accurate. Too many being sold though rated at 1 PSI which is WAY higher than 11"WC

Googled that regulator, and found this which indicates 9 inches WC.

Maybe it is that regulator.

Screenshot_20220324-095321_Chrome.jpg

Great, so, if the 9” WC is sufficient would you think that changing the gas manifold and/or burners would show an appreciable difference? The German manifold and burners stipulate a pressure rating in the description that is not noted in the US part description.

German: Burner tubes, 50 mb, Genesis II LX, E/S-340 (qty 3) / Manifold assembly, LP, 50 mb, Genesis II LX 300 series, export

US: LP Burner tube set, Genesis II LX, 3 burner / LP Manifold assembly, Genesis II LX 340

Not sure if the manifold or burners or both would influence the grill temperature more.

The only other consideration is if they used a different sized orifice on those overseas grills just as it seems they use a different regulator. But I would try the regulator first. I think that is best bet right now.

Excellent! That is the plan. I just picked up an 11“ WC regulator. Will let you know.
The sticker on my E330 lists BTU output and kJ/h output and lists the inches of WC for the regulator on the sticker.

My E330 sticker is NG, but my LP grills all indicate 11 inches of WC.

I hope the new regulator solved this.

22% more or 18%less. Should make a difference.
Then maybe you have to change out the burners.
May not really need too. Let is know how the new part works

It’s nice to learn about the subtle differences on our Webers between here and across the pond. Just thinkin’ out loud here, but I wonder if grills go MOOB instead of BOOM when they detonate over there? Anyways, it sounds like we’re well on our way to a proper solution with this one. Welcome back to the good ‘ol US of A. You’ll notice we’ve made quite a mess of things while you were away....sorry about that.

Hello again, so I changed out the regulator to the more appropriate 11” WC and fired up the grill. Definitely noticed an appreciable difference in the quickness to heat up the grill and the final temperature after about 12 minutes (cold windy day, 485 F). I really won’t know the improvement until I use the Wok attachment but feel that so far it is a promising outcome.

Thank you all for your support and worthwhile suggestions. Appreciate it greatly.

We moved to Germany from Massachusetts for work in 2007. Lived in Bavaria just south of Munich. Returned to the States to help take care of the parents in 2020. Loved every minute of it and will probably end up back there.

Back